This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
    I had the same issue about a black screen that blacpaw did. In my case, reboot didn't work and only after halting the system it worked.
    I had to hard reboot as well.

Oh, and I'm having some trouble with some "baloo file extractor" process, that goes crazy and uses a lot of cpu several times. What's that anyway?
    Thats the new full text indexing engine - replaces nepomuk, shouldn't be doing that.

I have been finding it a lot better than the old nepomuk, haven't had any cpu hogging issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
      Thats the new full text indexing engine - replaces nepomuk, shouldn't be doing that.

I have been finding it a lot better than the old nepomuk, haven't had any cpu hogging issues at all.
      And how can I disable it like the old nepomuk?

Comment

Its config file is ~/.kde/share/config/baloofilerc

I think editing it to:

Code:
        [Basic Settings]
        Enabled=false
        Indexing-Enabled=false

will do the trick, but I haven't tested it. You'll probably need to logout or reboot after changing it.

Comment

Its config file is ~/.kde/share/config/baloofilerc

I think editing it to:

Code:
          [Basic Settings]
          Enabled=false
          Indexing-Enabled=false

will do the trick, but I haven't tested it. You'll probably need to logout or reboot after changing it.
          Thanks for the info. I'll try that if it comes a nuisance. I hope the developers make it configurable in system settings, like nepomuk was.

Comment

Why would you want to do that? Do you not find a system-wide index to be useful?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Why would you want to do that? Do you not find a system-wide index to be useful?
              When the indexer is crashing constantly and hogging resources

Baloo does seem *much* better than nepomuk in that regard but it is facing very poor user expectations from the nepomuk legacy. The option to turn it off just in case would be useful.

Comment

When the indexer is crashing constantly and hogging resources
                This is something of a mystery to me. Yes, I've seen a plethora of reports about Nepomuk sucking the life out of machines. But since the arrival of KDE 4.9, I've never experienced these problems. Nepomuk's inconsistency is most certainly causing damage to KDE's reputation. I hope that Baloo can fix this.

Comment

NB - Important item, my Steam games are working perfectly on Trusty.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    It's useful indeed, but I prefer to disable it than having it freezing my system and/or producing a lot of heat like nepomuk used to do, and that's why I had it disabled.

Edit: I haven't read the following posts. So, yeah, when it's hogging resources and/or in case of malfunction it would be useful to have the option to disable it, just in case.
                    Last edited by geoaraujo; Mar 29, 2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I have to agree with Steve that the indexing system has been working fine for say the last 12 or even 18 months.
                      I really liked to have all files available via a simple and fast search.

Regretfully at this transit there is no easy search option.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        Regretfully at this transit there is no easy search option.
                        Search is not working for you?

Comment

Search is not working for you?
                          From dolphin, search is currently broken.

Comment

There's a command line tool you can use to do searchs

Code:
                            baloosearch  <keywords>
                            Searches on content and filename. That will let you know if there is a problem with the index itself.

Comment

5 minutes after last night's post my laptop showed an extreme temperature (95 degC) and baloo was drawing most power

This morning it is still rather active.

Comment

Duh!

I had enabled Akonadi but forgot to exclude the 2TB caddy with some 180,000 files.
                                After an hour of hard work the system has calmed and cooled down, all is well.

Dolphin search is now working.

Comment

Working...
                                X