Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail vs. Gmail - 38000+ "[No Subject] Unknown" emails!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail vs. Gmail - 38000+ "[No Subject] Unknown" emails!

Anyone else having this problem?

In the All Mail folder under my gmail account, Kmail shows more than 38000 emails - 99% of which say (No Subject) as topic and Unknown as sender. I highlighted them all, clicked move to trash, went to bed, and in the morning there were 19000ish emails in the trash but still 38000+ in the All Mail folder.

Web searching has revealed only one similar complaint but is was for a windows email program and the solution offered was to set it to delete emails from the server when deleted n the program. I'd love to try that option, but if Kmail has it, I can't find it.
    Attached Files

Please Read Me

I don't have that problem, but I haven't connected Kmail to Gmail.

Out of curiosity, do you actually have that many emails, or are they all just empty?
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

About 37,900 are of the "unknown" varity.

Please Read Me

Comment

Does the number grow significantly every day?

i.e. could kmail be trying to fetch the contents of your inbox every day and growing the total of unknown emails by that number every day, or did they all appear at once?

I seem to remember another thread on this forum where people were discussing some odd behaviour that was due to exceeding the number of requests to Google servers in a day, I wonder if your sync settings could be causing it? How often do you pull emails from the server?
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I have seen this myself in the past, but it has been a while, and not on my gmail accounts.
          I think it is the index that is corrupt maybe.
          I think you can right-click on the folder (or from the folder menu) select Folder Properties, then rebuild index in the Maintenance tab, but I don't see that option here in my 14.04 Kmail

Comment

There is a force re-index button but it's greyed out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Heck I know I found a fix for it way back in the day, but I can't find it

Way back in the day was probably 12.04 era. maybe 11.10.

Comment

I cant even find the dang files

Please Read Me

Comment

I use my gmail account as my primary account and have it forward all email to my ISP account, to which I have connected KMail. All outgoing email is from my KMail app. So far, I have had no problems at all.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use Gmail (IMAP) via Thunderbird in 12.04 here. Never seen anything like that happen.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

oshunluvr -

Check your filtering rules. If you have any, try disabling them all and see if the problem 'goes away'. If it does, add the filters back one at a time, closing and relaunching Kmail and checking for new mail. Continue this procedure until you find the filter (assuming this is a filter problem) that reproduces the problem. Delete the offending filter(s), close KMail/Kontact and relaunch.

See Bug 295484 - filtering removes email's content
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 07, 2014, 09:02 PM.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well honestly, I have a couple other (self imposed) problems one of which is virtuoso crashing. Which might be part of the problem. So I've started to migrate to 14.04 a bit early and I suspect most of issues, including this one, will go away. If not, I'll dig deeper, but I'm so busy with work, social stuff (race week here in Long Beach) and prepping for moving this is taking a back seat. Thanks for the ideas, but give me a week or so and I'll address it further. Thanks guys.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, upgrade to 14.04 complete and no baloo or virtuoso issues. No filters.

Problem still here. I would delete the email folders but I can't locate any.

EDIT: Apparently updatedb is not working.

EDIT 2: Apparently, PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS disables updatedb from including /home. I suspect due to btrfs. Bug report to be filed.
                          Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 29, 2014, 07:23 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm now up to 42,000 "Unknown" emails. No filters, or any other obvious problem causes. Kmail is totally useless at this point because it takes five minutes to do anything with it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              See Bug 295484 - filtering removes email's content
                              BTW, this bug doesn't apply. Not only was it fixed in 4.8.6, it refers to emails having only content removed. I have 42,000 emails with no date, subject, or content and I doubt I have received that many emails in the past decade, much less in the last year.

I would love to delete the crap manually, but they've hidden the index and storage files so well I can't find them. There must be 5 or 6 sets of email folders all of which are not in use. I guess I'm going to have to go to the dev channel to get help.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X