This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package uninstalls Subtitle Editor

Subtitle Editor is a cool little program for editing subtitle files -- SRT files and other formats. I installed it from the repositories.

However, I need to not spend so much time sitting on my fat arse editing subtitles. I need to exercise more and am trying out workout journal software (three possible programs found here: http://www.junauza.com/2009/03/freeo...-software.html) . I downloaded the latest stable version of GTrainer for Ubuntu (Debian Package) here: http://kutxa.homeunix.org/gtrainer/index-en.html.

I installed it, but could not help but notice in the terminal that it said it was uninstalling Subtitle Editor. GTrainer ran, but sure enough Subtitle Editor was gone. When I reinstalled Subtitle Editor with Synaptic Package Manager, it uninstalled GTrainer. WTF?

I guess I could try the latest package labeled "maybe unstable" or I could just use one of the other workout journal programs. I don't want to get rid of Subtitle Editor, though I do have another subtitle editing program named Jubler, which I don't like as well because it's Java-based. My plan was to try out all three workout journal programs and eventually go with the one I like best. However, to do that it looks like I would have to give up Subtitle Editor and go with Jubler. I don't get why GTrainer is refusing to coexist with Subtitle Editor.

Why does GTrainer uninstall Subtitle Editor?

And why does Subtitle Editor uninstall GTrainer?
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Apr 04, 2014, 07:03 AM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Conflicting dependencies is the likely answer. From what I can tell, Gtrainer is not being developed much. I see Jaunty as the last Ubuntu version. Since it's a gtk program, I'm not willing to install it here just to test, sorry.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Conflicting dependencies is the likely answer. From what I can tell, Gtrainer is not being developed much. I see Jaunty as the last Ubuntu version. Since it's a gtk program, I'm not willing to install it here just to test, sorry.
      That's okay. I don't expect you to.

If they're not developing it much, that's a major strike against it.
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

Working...
      X