Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE 4.11.2 -> 4.11.3 to remove packages?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.11.2 -> 4.11.3 to remove packages?

I'm trying to do this routine upgrade of many packages (188), but it says that it wants to remove many of them (Dolphin, Gwenview, many more). I suppose the removed ones may be replaced by different packages for the same programs, but I can't tell if that's the case or if there is something horribly wrong. Probably not, but I'd like to be sure before I do it and possibly screw up my system. Better safe than sorry and all that. Thanks!
    -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Sounds like the repo may not be completely updated. I'd give it a few hours and try again. It shouldn't list the replaced packages as "removed" but rather as "upgraded."

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Sounds like the repo may not be completely updated. I'd give it a few hours and try again. It shouldn't list the replaced packages as "removed" but rather as "upgraded."
      I've waited but it's still doing the same thing. It's not listing them as either removed or upgraded, but "to be upgraded". But when I click to apply the changes, it warns me first that some packages need to be removed. I haven't taken it farther than that yet.

Comment

Ok, that's sounds normal. "To be upgraded" means the old one is removed and the new one is installed. You don't say, but I assume you're using Muon. If so, when you click on Full Upgrade, the next screen shows exactly what will be removed vs. what will be upgraded.

When you click Apply Changes, look at the bottom of the Muon window that opens up. You'll see something like:

XXXXX packages available, XXXX installed, XX upgradeable, XX to install/upgrade

If a package has been replace by one with a different name or two packages have been combined into one, you should also see

, XX to remove

also sometimes one package conflicts with another. So an installation of package FOO may lead to the remove of package BAR.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry for the late reply; holidays happened. Anyway, I normally use Synaptic, but I tried Muon and it didn't say anything about removing anything, so I let it go and all is fine. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X