Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Agree That Kubuntu Should be Renamed - If So, What Name?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    KDeblubian.
    Sounds like you are trying to pronounce a long word after taking a few muscle relaxers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeQKIRpe-7k
    Last edited by life0riley; Dec 18, 2013, 12:41 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Whubat? Ubi'm flubine. Nubothlubing wrubong wlubith lubme. Hlubere, hubave luba drubink.

Comment

"BlueKu" sounds like a sneeze if you emphasize the "Ku" -- thus, gesundheit!
        Sorry to hear that you have a cold. As for me and my Wife, we could not get anything like a sneeze out of the word "BlueKu". I do not like starting a name with a strong consonant like "K".
        Whubat? Ubi'm flubine. Nubothlubing wrubong wlubith lubme. Hlubere, hubave luba drubink.
        I hope there is no alcohol in the medicine for your cold. This doesn't sound like German to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          As Ubuntu gets farther and farther out on its own limb it will, eventually, leave Kubuntu to fall off that limb by default. The question is "Do you want to wait until Kubuntu runs into the 'bridge out' ahead sign with little time to prepare, or do should Kubuntu developers begin NOW in making an orderly preparation and move to a Debian base?"

My answer to that question is YES!.

Personally, I have already made the move by installing KWheezy 1.3 on my PC and I have not been disappointed with it. In fact, I am very much impressed by it.
          I agree with GrayGeek +1
          Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

KDEBlue is nice. I like it.

Comment

BluKu rhymes with Cookoo. KDEBlue has a nice ring to it.
              Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
              Always consider Occam's Razor
              Rich

Comment

KubuntuRenamed

Feeling a bit tautological this morning.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Kan't Kubuntu Keep Kranking (out) Kool Kritters Keeping Krazy Kharacters Kinda Komfy-Kozy (and) Kontinue Keeping Kuality Kitties?

If Kubuntu changes from being Ubuntu based to Debian or Red Hat based, I am pretty sure Canonical would not want to allow keeping "ubuntu" in the name and thus a name change would probably be necessary. Wouldn't this just make Kubuntu a whole new distribution to be thrown in the mix and made to fend for itself and then somebody can come along and ask Canonical for the Kubuntu name and start going at it again?

Or if just the name is changed, what is Kubuntu other than another derivative of Ubuntu?

And would Kubuntu's sponsor (Blue Systems?) continue to sponsor it?
                  Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
                  DACS Linux Sig | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
                  Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Comment

KDeblubian:

K·De·blu·bian
                    kayˈdee`blə`bēən/

adjective

• 1. of, relating to, or characteristic of a user of KDE with a Debian base.
                      "My KDeblubian brother-in-law won't stop talking about his laptop operating system."

noun
                    • 1. a Linux distribution having a Debian base with a KDE desktop environment.
                    • 2. a native or citizen of a group known as KDeblubs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      KDeblubian:

K·De·blu·bian
                      [FONT=arial]kayˈdee`blə`bēən/
                      Careful, or you'll end up with this

hehe
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Love the alliteration Dragonbyte!

woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          I like KDEBlue. Keeps KDE, DEB and adds the Blue.

Kay Dee Blue
                          I must say that I am starting to like this name. My only problem is the pronunciation as it does not roll off the tongue very well. I have a preference to separate the pronunciation of the K from DEBlue and say Deblue as one word. What about representing it as K.DeBlue.
                          I am sure there are many graphic stylists who could do an excellent job at crafting a more appropriate symbol.

In terms of when a new name should be used, I tend to think that we should have this in place for the release in 14.10 as at that time Ubuntu will have the Mir graphical interface and hopefully Wayland will be included in KDE. There are those who have some insight as to the extent of Canonical packages we could use. At least there are many distributions that do not have Ubuntu in their name and still use their repositories.

One positive aspect of a name change will be extra press coverage from these actions which should improve the marketing of "Kubuntu".

Anyhow this is my two cents worth from down under.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                            I must say that I am starting to like this name. My only problem is the pronunciation as it does not roll off the tongue very well. I have a preference to separate the pronunciation of the K from DEBlue and say Deblue as one word. What about representing it as K.DeBlue
                            I am sure there are many graphic stylists who could do an excellent job at crafting a more appropriate symbol.
                            It makes me think of chicken cordon bleu, or would it be Kordon Bleu? Or KorDon blEu?
                            Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
                            DACS Linux Sig | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
                            Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Comment

It did just occur to me that #! switched from Ubuntu to Debian and did not change the name.

I, personally, think that changing the name to some obviously very dynamic, forward leaning name would bring new people to Kubuntu, but...

I don't know if #! lost people or what.

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

If we knew what distro #! was maybe we could research if #! lost users/members.
                                Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                                Always consider Occam's Razor
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X