• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
    This is depressing. I dont want to find a new OS:cry:
    Same here!

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    A not unreasonable approach would be for Blue Systems to take a larger leadership role. Begin by consolidating the effort: why maintain both Netrunner and Kubuntu? Blue should evaluate the gains that consolidation might bring. Next, Blue should spend some money: bring an accomplished X/Wayland developer on staff. From here, it might be possible to rebase onto Debian, and create a solid, first-class KDE with all the freshness of current packages. Divorcing Kubuntu from Canonical would bring a welcome degree of stability. SA(B)DFL's whims are beginning to tire me.
    Reasonable path to me but that of course is Blue's decision.

sigh.......

Comment

http://blogs.kde.org/2013/06/26/kubu...ng-mir-or-xmir

Comment

no susprise here why whould we use Mir anyway? kubuntu is a kde upstream distro we try not to heavly patch the packages. the situation will make it very fun people who are installing ubuntu then trying to put kde on top of it or any other non unity DE for that matter.i wonder if all the flavors will take the same route.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

And for those of NOT interested in wayland and additional layers?

As a LOOOOOOONNNNGGG time KDE user and user of KUbunutu variants ......with out KMint I would still be using inferior OS's...but.......

I am curious as to how much apt-get purge and apt-get install and other gyrations are going to be needed for those of us who want to use future versions of KDE and Kubuntu on X and X only.

I am not interested in getting into a debate on they merits or demerits of wayland v. x. I am firmly in the NO THANKS to wayland camp. For a lot of reasons, one I use XDMCP etc.. I am not interested in adding more layers to get X to work... Enjoy your new fangled toy... let those of use who wish to stick with the tried and true, X do so.

So ... cut to the chase... are those of who want to use X borq'd out of future versions of KDE and/or Kubunutu?

As asked above... I can see huge amounts of grief and non fucntional systems and trying to purge wayland and get back to X etc... This potentially leaves me with upgrading to a 14.10 version for the long term support with its X based system, and then being stuck there, or going back to inferior OS's... using non *buntu deriviatievs ie: Debian are issues due to several factors, mainly software packages, ease of installation of same etc..

Again... I will reitereate, this is not a x v. wayland debate topic... enjoy... I am not interested... I am severely concerned about my systems, the systems I install for clients and the future of KDE and Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by rec9140 View Post
            I am curious as to how much apt-get purge and apt-get install and other gyrations are going to be needed for those of us who want to use future versions of KDE and Kubuntu on X and X only...

So ... cut to the chase... are those of who want to use X borq'd out of future versions of KDE and/or Kubunutu?

As asked above... I can see huge amounts of grief and non fucntional systems and trying to purge wayland and get back to X etc... This potentially leaves me with upgrading to a 14.10 version for the long term support with its X based system
            Chill...

We'll have robust X support at least until 14.04. No word yet whether Canonical will continue with the LTS enablement strategy to backport 14.10 improvements into 14.04. As for how Kubuntu evolves post 14.10, we can't predict this right now.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if Mir will work on or even improve some of the lighter DEs like LXDE, XFCE or even Razor or Enlightenment. May be good for the low-end or older hardware. Trying to keep an open mind here.

Ken.
              Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
                It will be interesting to see if Mir will work on or even improve some of the lighter DEs like LXDE, XFCE or even Razor or Enlightenment
                Canonical has expressly said: "The purpose of Mir is to enable the development of the next generation Unity." See that? Unity only. The community is free to adapt it for other desktops; however, people doing so should expect two things:

1. They must sign and agree to be bound by Canonical's Contributor License Agreement (and Matthew Garrett has some opinions about that).

2. The underlying Mir API and ABI can change at any time, without regard to backwards compatibility. Today, your DE works; tomorrow, it breaks. This is the primary reason so many other DE maintainers wish to avoid Mir.

Trying to keep an open mind here.
                No real reason to. It's a dumb move.
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 27, 2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Canonical has expressly said: "The purpose of Mir is to enable the development of the next generation Unity." See that? Unity only. The community is free to adapt it for other desktops; however, people doing so should expect two things:...
                  Well, that makes Mir useless to me then. I tried Unity and decided it's not for me. Unity and Gnome 3 are just too weird for me. KDE, LXDE, XFCE, E17 are all at least usable.

I have an Android Galaxy S2 that I mostly just use as a phone. A friend came to visit recently. She had what I thought was a net book but turned out to be an I-Pad with a docked keyboard. It occurred to me that at our age (mid 60s) we may be seeing a generation gap relating to mental/physical/functionality changes in ways of thinking and doing stuff.

No real reason to. It's a dumb move.
                  For a dumb move Canonical sure is putting a lot of resources into it. New hiring and all.
                  Whatever.

Ken.
                  Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

For a dumb move Canonical sure is putting a lot of resources into it. New hiring and all.
                    Whatever.
                    It's not necessarily a dumb move for Canonical. Canonical wants to make money on phones/tablets and they want a graphics stack that they have full control over...and one they can turn proprietary with a flick-of-a-switch.

It's a dumb move for anyone who isn't Canonical...and that includes the ubuntu community.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      It's a dumb move for anyone who isn't Canonical...and that includes the ubuntu community.
                      That is a more elegant and nuanced version of what I said. Thanks

Comment

Not in the least funny or humorous......

Chill...
                        That kind of response to my clients would not be, and is not funny. I've spent a lot A LOOOOOOOT of effort to dump crap OS's, and get them on Linux. Now after only a few years Linux wants to upset the cart and ditch it all!? ? ?

These desktops all 100% rely on XDMCP internally and externally. Again thats great that a certain faction of users/developers don't use it, fine, but there are those of us who do and it is a requirement. No I see no need to add another layer to get back what works today, with X.

We'll have robust X support at least until 14.04. No word yet whether Canonical will continue with the LTS enablement strategy to backport 14.10 improvements into 14.04. As for how Kubuntu evolves post 14.10, we can't predict this right now.
                        This is going to turn into the fiasco I expected when this whole wayland situation started.

Again... let me reiterate, wayland has been weighed and measured and found wanting for my use, and my clients... I and my clients need to know where were headed... and that looks like Linux will not be the future... after all the work to get them on Linux, ditch paying the ms tax for OS and productivity software... URRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH This really is a dumb move... again save your wayland is the saviour to the world, I am not interested.

This is just going to fragment things even more...

Distros using X and those not and DE supporting X and those not... this is NOT a good thing. And a redux of the whole KDE 3 to KDE4 transition... with those sticking to X left out in the cold and unable to use KDE...

This really is just annoying.

Comment

You're obviously annoyed but I think it's too early to jump ship just yet. We're over a year away from initial release and several more before X goes away. I think this is what Steve had in mind.

Please Read Me

Comment

Following this thread is intreguing and informative.

Just found this:
                            http://www.thepowerbase.com/2013/06/...-ubuntu-13-10/

Just wondering
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

@rec9140: To further assuage your angst - read this: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...-trancparency/

It seems clear to me that X11 network transparancy is being considered and supported. If Martin gets his way - we'll have a better toolkit to replace it.

Please Read Me

Comment

That kind of response to my clients would not be, and is not funny.
                                Fortunately, as KFN is not a site that mediates interactions between consultants and clients, we can be less formal here and even encourage folks to relax a bit.

I've spent a lot A LOOOOOOOT of effort to dump crap OS's, and get them on Linux. Now after only a few years Linux wants to upset the cart and ditch it all!? ? ?
                                No one is asking you to "ditch" anything. Canonical has a business objective in mind; Mir is an avenue for meeting that objective. One cannot rightfully criticize them for that. But one can critize them for abandoning the flavors; alternately, perhaps it's time for the flavors to envision new strategies for themselves. Such change is the only constant in our universe, I'm afraid.

This is going to turn into the fiasco I expected when this whole wayland situation started.
                                You seem to discount the ability for people to learn from past mistakes and improve themselves.

Again... let me reiterate, wayland has been weighed and measured and found wanting for my use, and my clients... I and my clients need to know where were headed... and that looks like Linux will not be the future... again save your wayland is the saviour to the world, I am not interested.
                                Really? So you don't think that future versions of Wayland might provide everything you need? Or that the effort to achive backwards compatibility will not work?
                                Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 28, 2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X