Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem booting Win 7 Enterprise after installing Kubuntu 13.10 on separate partition

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem booting Win 7 Enterprise after installing Kubuntu 13.10 on separate partition

Hello,

I recently received a new Windows 7 PC at work with everything setup to access work-related shared drives. However I prefer to do most of my work on linux. I installed Kubuntu 13.10 from a flash drive in UEFI mode. Everything went fine and no error messages were displayed. When rebooting the Dell Optiplex 7010, no menu was displayed to select the OS. It simply booted into Windows 7. I then used the flash drive with Kubuntu on it to boot from that and used the recommended settings on boot-repair. I selected to install the bootloader to both partitions because I didn't know which one to select. The boot-repair software recommended this since I didn't know where to install it. After completing the boot repair, I rebooted and the menu was there with Kubuntu but no Win 7 entry. At this point, I don't know how to add Windows 7 to the boot menu.

Please help and thank you!

I forgot to mention, the boot-repair program gave me the following record.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6722666/

Comment

Not sure exactly what you've done or what you're using to boot.

Are you using grub or the windows boot loader? If grub, have you run update-grub to see if windows is detected?

You state "I selected to install the bootloader to both partitions..." but installing grub to a partition boot record is mostly useless. You cannot boot to a partition boot record except from another boot loader. At least one boot loader must be installed to the master boot record.

Please Read Me

Comment

Update-grub worked! Thanks so much! I'm so glad it was a simple fix!

Comment

Gosh, I love it when they're that easy!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by mdshaver View Post
            After completing the boot repair, I rebooted and the menu was there with Kubuntu but no Win 7 entry. At this point, I don't know how to add Windows 7 to the boot menu.
            This is, unfortunately, a common problem. You can find several reports about it here.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            have you run update-grub to see if windows is detected?
            Dude, I think you might have just found the general answer! I wonder if BootRepair doesn't actually call update-grub. If it doesn't, then os-prober never runs, and the Windows stanza never gets created. Running update-grub fixes all that.

Comment

Working...
            X