This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Window Shares in Kubuntu Setting

Ok, so in Kubuntu Settings, there is an icon called Window Shares. It asks for a username and password, which will be used for Sama Filesharing. Here is my problem:

After I entered the username/password (which is different from my actual login username/password), I used smb from another computer to try and access my Kubuntu laptop. A popup comes up and asks for username/password. I enter what I enter in the Window Shares and and the popup appeas again, indicating that I enter the wrong username/password. I have tried all methods and it still not working, including typing in my actual login username/password.

One thing I notice, when you select a folder and go to the Properties tab, you can choose to share the folder and there is an option that allows guest. On top of that, you can set permission for "Everyone" and for each user. So, here is my question: why do you use a different username/password for Window Shares? But, the setting for sharing for each folder has permission for different actual user in the computer. Also, what did I do wrong? What should I do to allow samba file sharing for my laptop?

Thank you for your help.

is your host machine running windows vista + ? if so you will need to allow non ntlm v2 clients on your server .
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      is your host machine running windows vista + ? if so you will need to allow non ntlm v2 clients on your server .
      My host machine actually runs Window 7. This does not just happen to this one machine. I have tried this on different systems, Window, Kubuntu, and even Android, and nothing works. Not sure what I should do, should I just install smb package and set up samba manually? WIll this conflict with Kubuntu samba?

Comment

Sorry, your description of what you're doing isn't clear to me. It appears you want to allow windows machines to browse files on your Kubuntu box?

If this is the case, then unless 13.10 differs drastically from 13.04, putting a username and password under "System Settings > Sharing > Default..." doesn't set up Samba server. It just sets a default Samba client user and password for browsing your Windows shares. If you want other machines to browse your Kubuntu machine using Samba, you must install and configure the Samba server.

https://help.ubuntu.com/13.10/server...ileserver.html

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Sorry, your description of what you're doing isn't clear to me. It appears you want to allow windows machines to browse files on your Kubuntu box?

If this is the case, then unless 13.10 differs drastically from 13.04, putting a username and password under "System Settings > Sharing > Default..." doesn't set up Samba server. It just sets a default Samba client user and password for browsing your Windows shares. If you want other machines to browse your Kubuntu machine using Samba, you must install and configure the Samba server.

https://help.ubuntu.com/13.10/server...ileserver.html
          Thank you so much, that clears up the confusion. I will go and set up the Samba server then.

Comment

Working...
          X