X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother MFC-7360N - device not found

Hello all,

I have a Brother MFC-7360N, it worked fine in the past but now I can't use it as a scanner (printer function works fine).

I am running 64-bit 13.10 and I have installed the most current drivers from the Brother website.

Code:
    ThinkPad-X230-Tablet:~$ dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
    ii  brother-udev-rule-type1               1.0.0-1                                       all          Brother udev rule type 1
    ii  brscan-skey                           0.2.4-0                                       amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
    ii  brscan4                               0.4.1-5                                       i386         Brother Scanner Driver
    ii  cupswrapperdcp110c                    1.0.2-3                                       i386         Brother DCP110C CUPS wrapper driver
    ii  cupswrappermfc7360n                   2.0.4-2                                       i386         Brother MFC7360N CUPS wrapper driver
    ii  dcp110clpr                            1.0.2-1                                       i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii  mfc7360nlpr                           2.1.0-1                                       i386         Brother MFC-7360N LPR driver
    ii  printer-driver-ptouch                 1.3-6                                         amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
    Any suggestions?

Jason

***EDIT***

Thanks to Claydoh for providing the answer, and to everyone else who took the time to read and respond to this thread.

The instructions and drivers for Brother scanners can be found at this link:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...n.html#brscan4
    Last edited by jpc2769; Feb 21, 2014, 01:44 PM. Reason: Solution was found

Hi
    I figured that I would let people that are way smarter than me post.

but since nobody did i will post.

this post will bring out the real experts.

but, brother has "two parts" to their drivers.

a) a general driver
    b) a specific driver.

From my experience they have tried to kind of combine these.

I donated my brother machine, which worked MARVELLously to a fellow on the forum that was down on his luck ....

basically because I like HP.

BUT ..................

the trick with brother "back then" was to UN PLUG,and POWER OFF the printe/scanner.

install the drivers with the device NOT ATTACHED.

follow the instrutctions.

power on/off

THEN.....after everything else,,just like in the insruction sheet....

plugin the device, and power on the device and let Ubuntu "find it"

it worked great,

wooddonatedthemachjinesmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Woodsmoke,

Thanks for responding. Based on this input, i did the following:

1. Power off and unplug the printer/scanner
      2. Reinstall the device drivers from the Brother website
      3. Reboot the computer
      4. Plug in and turn on the printer/scanner

However, the computer did not "find" the device. So, I went into printer settings, added the device, and manually specified the PPD file. Now I am right back where I started, I can print fine but the scanner is not detected at all.

Am I missing any step(s)?

Jason

Comment

It looks like you have the 32 bit packages for most everything there. That might be the issue.
        Also, newer packages (AND instructions) for the scanner can be found here
        Last edited by claydoh; Feb 21, 2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

How is it connected? USB or Ethernet?

Please Read Me

Comment

Claydoh,

Thanks so much, the instructions and driver I found on that link solved it!

And thanks for everyone else who took the time to read and respond to this message, I really appreciate the help that this community provides.

Jason

Comment

Working...
            X