This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Tries to Start an Uninstalled Program at Bootup

I installed jovie, just to see what it could do. When i was done with it, I uninstalled it (correctly with apt-get remove...). Now the system tries to start this (uninstalled) program at bootup. How can I correct this behavior?
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

SystemSettings->statup /shutdown-> autostart
    or ~/.kde/Autostart/ (~/ is your home folder)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

No joy! Jovie is not displayed in either of those locations. Something is trying to run it. Please advise.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Change "Restore previous session" to "Start a new session" in Session Manager.

Please Read Me

Comment

Try using
          Code:
          sudo apt-get purge jovie
          Should remove all entries for jovie in your system.

Comment

Okay I started an empty session and I tried the purge method. I rebooted between tries, but no joy! I'm still getting an error message at boot up that says:

Unable to find kttsd. Knotify.
            Unable to start text to speech program, Jovie.

I don't get it. Something still remains of this program. BTW, the error window has a large red X icon at the beginning in the top right corner if that matters at all.

Comment

I suspect KDE or jovie modified a file in your home. Run

grep KTTS ~/.kde/share/config/*.notifyrc

if any of the .notifyrc files in there have Action=KTTS they are set to start jovie. It's also possible that you still have a speech notification set somewhere.

Time to start digging!

Please Read Me

Comment

Also see if there are any stray entries in your services : System Settings >> Startup and Shutdown >> Service Manager.
                Look for things like kttsd (text to speech service), as well as jovie. It looks to be a system KDE service, so you might see some stray .desktop files for it in ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ /usr/share/kde4/services, items with jovie ror kttsd or kcmkttsd.

Also perhaps try running apt-get autoremove to get rid of the extra dependencies not removed when uninstalling jovie, though that is unlikely the culprit I think.
                Last edited by claydoh; Nov 15, 2013, 10:49 AM. Reason: could not reproduce

Comment

Okay. I already ran autoremove and I ran it again. grep provided no clues. My home folder looks okay to me. I did run Nepomuk Cleaner - not a very robust app; no user feedback when finished so I don't know if it's done or not. No it's time for a reboot and see if anything is different. I'll also copy the exact error message if I still get one.

Comment

I still got the error message. A window with a red X icon appears in the middle of my destop. Across the top of the window it states:

could not find 'kttsd.' -- KNotify

In the middle of the window the error message states: Starting Jovie Text-to-Speech Service Failed.

Something is trying to boot this app. And I'll tell you guys something else.

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm tired of relying on this forum to troubleshoot seemingly simple problems on my system. I've bee using Linux Kubuntu for about 4 years. I know it's so much better than M$ Windoze for what I use my computer for, but I'm tired of being a point-and-click guy! I don't have anywhere close to the networking experience of Oshunlvr or the system knowledge of Claydoh, but I do want to learn my system better and perhaps that means right from the dot prompt. What resources would you "Linuxmen" recommend ?

Comment

On my 64-bit laptop, these are the packages that 'would' be installed along with jovie (simulated install):
                      espeak-data festival festival-freebsoft-utils festlex-cmu festlex-poslex festvox-kallpc16k jovie kmouth libdotconf1.0 libespeak1 libestools2.1 libsonic0 libsox-fmt-alsa libsox-fmt-base libsox2 sound-icons sox speech-dispatcher speech-dispatcher-festival
                      And on my 32-bit laptop:
                      espeak-data festival festival-freebsoft-utils festlex-cmu festlex-poslex festvox-kallpc16k jovie kmouth libdotconf1.0 libespeak1 libestools2.1 libportaudio2 libsonic0 libsox-fmt-alsa libsox-fmt-base libsox2 sound-icons sox speech-dispatcher speech-dispatcher-festival
                      If I were in your position, and experiencing this problem, I would start by simulating the purging of each of the packages listed above, from the console, using sudo apt-get purge --simulate packagename. If I didn't see an obvious issue with the purging of a package (indication that vital system packages would also be removed), then I'd do the actual package purge: sudo apt-get purge packagename.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I figured it out! I grep on anything that started with "KTTS." I found a networkmanager.knotifyrc that had the trigger in it to report to the user via voice that a "comm link established" when the network manager came online. I forgot I put that little gem in via Jovie. So that's something Jovie users need to be aware of: when you uninstall jovie, you will not uninstall all the applets that trigger a voice response from the system. Good to know. Thanks to everyone who weighed in. I really appreciate it.

And again, I'm also open to resource recommendations as I described in the last post. Thanks.

Comment

Intro to the command line might be a good place to start learning about using the CLI
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                          X