This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I start Apache OpenOffic

There is a very nice office suite bundled with Kubuntu, but I just don't like the look and feel of it. When you are typing script the letters are faint and in a lot of cases the letter is not entirely present. Has gaps in it.

So I downloaded the Tar.gz file of Apache Office 4. I have used OpenOffice and also under its new flag Apache OpenOffice for years. Like it very much.

So I got it down, opened it and then installed it. It is all there in the /opt directory as advertised. This is where I have the problem. There is a virtual plethora of files and the ones I did choose did not work. Unlike Windows (Sorry!) with its ".exe" extensions, which one is the key one is lost to me.

Having solved that, is there a way to get it onto the Kubuntu menu system?

Your help has always solved my problems and I am most appreciative, Thank you, Elder73 (plus 4)

See http://www.openoffice.org/download/c...html#linux-deb
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I haven't used OOO for a while, but in the last couple installs I did, I downloaded the tar.gz loaded with a plethora of .deb packages. Also in the tarball was a folder that had 3 (I think) .deb's in it called "desktop-integration" one of which was KDE menus. Look to see if that's the case. If so, installing it should put everything into your kmenu.

In past versions, the primary executable was soffice or ooffice-something

I've been considering switching back to OOO, so if I get time tonight I'll try and download it and take a look myself.

Please Read Me

Comment

As oshuluvr mentions the command to run say OpenOffice Writer is soffice --writer (unless Apache have changed its command).

To add it to the menu, simply right click on the menu icon and select menu editor then just add the command under the the appropriate heading and save it.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          I haven't used OOO for a while, but in the last couple installs I did, I downloaded the tar.gz loaded with a plethora of .deb packages. Also in the tarball was a folder that had 3 (I think) .deb's in it called "desktop-integration" one of which was KDE menus. Look to see if that's the case. If so, installing it should put everything into your kmenu.

In past versions, the primary executable was soffice or ooffice-something

I've been considering switching back to OOO, so if I get time tonight I'll try and download it and take a look myself.
          Thank you all for your replies. Got everything done except the "desktop-integration". Went through the following and got nowhere fast.

william77@william77:~$ dpkg -i /home/openoffice/ast/DEBS/dir
          dpkg: error: requested operation requires superuser privilege
          --------------------------------------------------------
          william77@william77:~$ su
          Password:
          su: Authentication failure
          william77@william77:~$
          william77@william77:~$ su dpkg -i /home/openoffice/ast/DEBS/dir
          su: invalid option -- 'i'
          Usage: su [options] [LOGIN]

Options:
          -c, --command COMMAND pass COMMAND to the invoked shell
          -h, --help display this help message and exit
          -, -l, --login make the shell a login shell
          -m, -p,
          --preserve-environment do not reset environment variables, and
          keep the same shell
          -s, --shell SHELL use SHELL instead of the default in passwd

At this point I gave up and went and made myself a cup of tea.

Further help would be appreciated.

Comment

sudo not su by default for *buntu distros. Unless you do it yourself there is no root password.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, if I remember correctly, there's more than one deb in the desktop-integration folder. You only need to install the KDE one.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well things have moved along. I got the desktop-integration deb installed as follows:

william77@william77:~$ sudo dpkg -i ~/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb
                [sudo] password for william77:
                (Reading database ... 154782 files and directories currently installed.)
                Unpacking openoffice-debian-menus (from .../openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb) ...
                dpkg: error processing /home/william77/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb (--install):
                trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package libreoffice-common 1:4.0.2-0ubuntu1
                /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
                gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
                /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
                gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
                Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
                Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
                Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
                Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
                Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
                Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
                Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
                Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
                Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
                Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
                Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
                Processing triggers for gnome-icon-theme ...
                Errors were encountered while processing:
                /home/william77/openoffice/ast/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb
                william77@william77:~$

I don't really understand what happened above. As I write I still don't have it showing up on my menus so that I can start it.

Thank you for your continuing help. Elder73

Comment

You need to remove all of LibreOffice first. Currently, the file /usr/bin/soffice on your system is from the libreoffice-common package. dpkg won't (unless you explicitly force it to) overwrite an existing file from one package with a conflicting file of the same name from another unrelated package.

Comment

Working...
                  X