This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep/Suspend on Desktop PC while using Vbox leaving messed up desktop

I've read through the black screen report (and solved a few) so this is a little different than earlier reports.

My system specs below, but highlights: desktop PC with nvidia cards. I don't usually use sleep/suspend with my desktop - preferring to leave it on. Although I discovered recently that "Crescent Moon" button on my now actually does put my PC to sleep. Cool!

BUT, if I have a VM open with VBox, the screen wakes up to black with a mouse cursor. A little playing around revealed if I went up-left to "Present Windows," I get the window TITLES positioned around the screen within the areas that presumably the window boxes would be "presented" in. If I do not have VBox running - screen restores normally.

Weird, right?

So far, nothing I've tried will bring kwin back to normal short of rebooting. I've even gone to TTY1 and attempted a restart of lightdm - then everything including the TTYs goes black. Desktop at ALT-F7 still behaves as above.

Ideas anyone?

Please Read Me

May not help much, but does
    Code:
    kwin --replace
    do anything?

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I tried restarting kwin and got "DISPLAY NOT FOUND" or something similar. Even when I tried kwin --help.

Next time I get to this situation, I'll try that though.

Please Read Me

Comment

I read something about sleep/resume problems a while ago. When waking a PC from sleep, the OS has to re-initialize all the hardware. I'm gonna guess that your problem is timing-related; VirtualBox is attempting to communicate with an element of your hardware that hasn't initialized yet.

Comment

Interestingly, I was running a Windows program using wine and I inadvertently allowed it to go full screen. When I closed it, I was left in a vary similar situation screen-wise. The difference was there were odd triangles of portions of the desktop visible all "stuck: into the upper left corner of the screen. They re-arranged an flashed different sections as I moved the mouse around. Present windows revealed the same effect as the OP. However, this time I was able to enter kwin --replace in my Yakuake window (love that program) and it restored my desktop visuals.

I'm wondering if it's related the the latest nVidia drivers which have been reported elsewhere as rather hinky. I'm running an nVidia 8800GT solo (at the moment) on dual monitors.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X