Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As we are not exactly sure how applications may behave without the wallet system present, I'm not convinced removing it is a good idea. You can essentially make the wallet invisible by configuring it not to have a password. Now, applications that want to store items in the wallet can do so, and you will not be bothered by its prompts. This is how I run all my KDE setups.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      As we are not exactly sure how applications may behave without the wallet system present, I'm not convinced removing it is a good idea. You can essentially make the wallet invisible by configuring it not to have a password. Now, applications that want to store items in the wallet can do so, and you will not be bothered by its prompts. This is how I run all my KDE setups.
      Privacy savvy people like us don't want the wallet storing anything, this is where the problem lies, it should as simple as shutting it off, in the GUI somewhere or Startup and Shutdown options, etc. I personally don't use wallet and avoid KDE apps that will insist I do for that reason, I'm waiting for the day when I read a new thread from a 'victim' stating their 'wallet' was compromised, I know KDE/LInux is a small 'target audience' but stranger things have happened.
      Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 27, 2013, 06:04 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Please delete this duplicate post

Please delete this duplicate post
        Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 27, 2013, 06:04 AM. Reason: Please delete this duplicate post

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
          Privacy savvy people like us don't want the wallet storing anything
          I would think "privacy savy" people would rather use kwallet (with encryption) than let individual applications store passwords in their configs...this is usually done in plain text or more often with weak hashing.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
            I would think "privacy savy" people would rather use kwallet (with encryption) than let individual applications store passwords in their configs...this is usually done in plain text or more often with weak hashing.
            I see your point, perhaps it's the name (wallet) that alarms people, if somebody got a hold of my actual physical wallet, the one with my credit cards, etc in it, I would be toast, burnt toast identity theft and fraud wise.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
              it should as simple as shutting it off, in the GUI somewhere
              you can ,,,,,it is as simple as Kickoff>applications>system>Kwalletmanager>setting s>configure wallet ,,,, and uncheck the "enable the KDE wallet subsystem" line and click "apply"
              I have never had the wallet bother me after doing this ,,,,,,,never.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X