This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first Linux Skype tonight

IMO Skype is the epitome of bad software design. I want applications that I turn on when I want to use them and I turn off when I don't want to. In the Windows version at least, Skype loads automatically and puts itself in the system tray. Yuck. I didn't ask it to do that. Then when you're done using it, it puts itself into the system tray and you have to go right click there to get rid of it. Very annoying. Then I learned online (http://blogs.technet.com/b/usefultec...27/438172.aspx) that Skype pigs up your network resources if you leave it running in the background, even if you're not using it. Unforgivable.

I also find its interface awkward. I only use it because it's the de facto standard and I'm busy learning French. Since there aren't many native French speakers where I live, I video conference with people from France and Québec. Under Windows I did things to keep Skype in its place. I created a separate user only for Skype and installed Skype in it, giving permission to only that user to use it. That way when using my normal Windows account, I could be assured, Skype would not meddle.

So I've installed the Linux version via the Synaptic Package Manager and will use it for the first time tonight. I'll see if it's as annoying under Linux as it is under Windows. At least there's a Linux version and I don't have to use WINE or boot into Windows. We'll see if I'll need to set up Skype in a separate user account or not.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

You know Skype is owned by Microsoft, right? Don't expect a lot of performance or support - just sayin'

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      You know Skype is owned by Microsoft, right? Don't expect a lot of performance or support - just sayin'
      I'll be satisfied if I can just turn it on and use it and shut it off when I'm done and be able to see and hear the person when it's on. Lifehacker recommends using Google Video Chat instead, but then you have to get the other person to install it too. (http://lifehacker.com/384545/superio...ndows-software)

Comment

@oshunluver

Party-pooper!

Installing/running the Linux version of Skype, at least here, for me, was straight forward. I launch it, it works. I terminate it, and it doesn't stay 'resident' in the Sytem Tray. I don't care that Microsoft now owns Skype. Skype is a tool. For me, it works. I'm satisfied with it.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey, I've admitted I'm a MS hater. I just can't help myself!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Hey, I've admitted I'm a MS hater. I just can't help myself!
            I'm an admitted Microsoft hater, but I'll use some of their stuff if it fulfills a purpose and if I can avoid paying them any money. I won't get into all the reasons for being anit-Microsoft or we'll have a dissertation on our hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
              I'm an admitted Microsoft hater, but I'll use some of their stuff if it fulfills a purpose and if I can avoid paying them any money. I won't get into all the reasons for being anit-Microsoft or we'll have a dissertation on our hands.
              Ditto. I'm with ya on this one!

Please Read Me

Comment

I wanted to find out if Skype/Linux was going to be obnoxious or not and I've got my answer now: It's obnoxious. I just needed to boot into Windows. When I booted back into Kubuntu, Skype immediately popped up an unwanted menu, pestering me to log in. Then when I chose not to, it put an icon in the task pane that I didn't want and that I had to right click on to get rid of.

So I'm off now to create a Skype-only user account for Kubuntu just like I did for Windows. Software's pretty bad when you have to create an entire login just to prevent it from being intrusive. I'll do this unless someone has a better idea. Is there some way to tell the Linux version of Skype to not pop this crap up when I boot up?

Software design should always be like this: The user is in control. The user runs the software when he wants to, and it's easy to shut off without leaving anything behind. Software should be free of nag screens and annoying banners. Software should not meddle with parts of the operating system that it has no business being in, and if the user wants to uninstall it, it should happily go, leaving nothing behind. Users should be able to set software to do things their way, that is, software should adapt itself around the way a user works and not the other way around.

Sheesh, Skype, you suck. I guess the other option is to just uninstall it from Kubuntu and only use it when I boot into my special Skype Windows account.

Comment

Change the General Settings and when you are finished with Skype, choose Quit -- don't just click the upper-right X or use the Sign Out option.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Skype General Settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	640407
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Skype Quiting.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	640408
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 29, 2013, 04:41 PM.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                    ... rant ...
                    Perhaps you're unaware how skype works. While you're not using it, your computer (and your bandwidth) may be used by skype to route other's calls. It relies on being able to run in the background on lots of computers. And, being closed, using undocumented protocols, you can't know what it's doing, even when you're using it. Somecitation required network administrators ban it for these reasons.

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Skype used to be a heavily decentralised system and any user could be a node in the network.
                      Since MS took over they have installed some supernodes that now route most of the traffic, the NSA must be grateful for such a one-stop spying paradise.

But otherwise Skype is working fine for me, it never auto starts because that's how I configured it.
                      On most of my devices I've also installed Voipbuster and it too gives a great calling experience.
                      Last edited by Teunis; Jul 29, 2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I'm a happy Skype user, for the most part. My brother always has it running on his Windows 7 laptop and we quite often connect for free calls and use it for text chatting. It just works and I'm happy with it.

I've tried other voip clients and I always have had problems with them (in Linux at least). Skype works without hassle, so I don't care if it takes some liberties. One thing I like about it is that it keeps my internet connection alive (I connect via a wifi hotspot that keeps logging me out if there is no internet activity for 10 minutes or so). I used to use Kopete for this reason alone.

The one gripe I have with it is that recently I put some Skype credit on it so I could make phone calls as well as Skype to Skype calls and made what I thought was a free call (0800 numbers here in N.Z.) and they charged me for it! It appears Skype here doesn't have free calling (yet) https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA2...-number-series
                        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
                        X