X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multisession DVD software?

Hi!

Seems like K3b don't support multisession DVDs or can't handle it properly.
    Today I got this message:
    Code:
    K3b found session containing Joliet information for long filenames but no Rock Ridge extensions.
    The filenames in the imported session will be converted to a restricted character set in the new session. This character set is based on the ISO9660 settings in the K3b project. K3b is not able to display these converted filenames yet.
    and of course the conversion failed.
    (The DVD was created with the UDF option).

The other day I had a message that current version don't support multisession UDF, but future versions will.
    (And K3b is inactive for ~2y).
    Unfortunatelly, I didn't saved the exact error message.

PS. Even choosing another option, the DVD will be burned with UDF, if big enough files found.

My question is: Is there another software that supports UDF multisession DVDs?

TIA! :cool:
    Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
    eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Brasero ?

Please Read Me

Comment

Nope!

Brasero can't even see the already written DVDs.
      Don't seems to has, any multisession capabilities.
      (Of course I'm writing my personal experience. Your mileway may vary).

At least not for ISO standard v.3.
      (It automatically chooses ISO v.3 if big files found, informing me that Apple systems can't read them (not important for me)).
      It's a shame that can't write UDF filesystem.
      I think ISO standard is too old and outdated, these days.
      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7

Comment

According to the Brasero site it supports multisession. Maybe something else is missing from your install??

Please Read Me

Comment

The options are blank (so there's no option for "leaving the disc open").

I googled for that and seems like K3b multisession abillity is totally broken and Brasero's one don't work for a lot of people (including me), for ~ 2y now, depending on DVD trademark (I'm using an iHAS 124D).
          2 serious bugs, opened for 2y and still counting.
          Sigh!

I also tried xfburn and nero, but no luck either (both not at active development). Also Windows programs (through Wine), are of no use (Garbage state or not including this option).

EDIT:

OK! Problem is solved.

Multisession seems to be supported in K3b, although you have to guess and after that, you have some trial and error to do.
          Seems it has something to do, with the non-Latin Unicode filename characters.
          Changing the burning settings, solved the problem.
          I enabled "ISO level 3", "allow ISO names >31 chars" and "allow Joliet names 103 chars".

Filesystem set -> custom (Rock Ridge, Joliet, UDF).

The settings has to be more obvious I think. Currently are well hidden under the surface and in order to work, one has to change the burning mode (to mixed rock ridge +joliet + udf) and change 3 different settings after that.
          I think for a so common function, the developers has to simplify the proccess.
          Yes, for languages with only Latin charsets, these steps are not needed, but there are also, not Latin-only languages arround the world!

Also I think it was a bad thing to close the K3b forum, and prompt the users to K3b KDE subforum.
          KDE forum is great, but it is not a K3b forum.
          The thing is getting worst, since K3b is the only serious Linux based burner.
          Xfburn seems to be abandoned and Brasero supports only a (small?) fraction of hardware.
          The rest are command-prompt tools, not very well suited for everyday's desktop use.

I really think, that the Linux world has to find developers to revitalize the K3b project.
          It's a critical piece of software for desktop users, and it's a pitty to be in inactive state for >2y now.
          Last edited by Achaean; Jul 27, 2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X