This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application choice setting doesn't stick

I'm running kmail 4.10.3. I have a message with an attached .wav file. I attempt to open it and am given a choice of programs. I choose Multimedia/dragon Player and ask that my choice be remembered. But it isn't remembered -- if I again click on a message and attempt to open it, I get the "Open With" dialog again.

I assume that something is messed up in my configuration files since other people don't seem to have the same problem. I had it even before installing 13.04. I assume I need to reconstruct my preferences somehow. What's the least destructive way to do that? I don't want to kill all my settings in an attempt to deal with this.

Settings > File Associations > audio > x-wav > Application Preference > Then either add dragon player or move it up in the order.

Hit apply, try a file and report back.

Comment

Dragon Player is already at the top of the list of applications for x-wav. In fact, I had put it there when the problem first surfaced. That's why I think something is broken and the best way to fix it would be a minimally destructive reinitialization of the relevant data structures, whatever they are.

Comment

When you right-click on a wav file and select "Properties" and then click the button in the middle of the pop-up window (the title of it escapes me at the moment), What applications are listed under "Application Preference Order?"

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, the list of changes you make for Application preference are kept in

~/.kde/share/config/keditfiletyperc

and/or

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Please Read Me

Comment

Right-clicking on a .wav file brings up (a couple of layers down) the list of preferred applications, as it should. Your suggestion led me to try opening a .wav file by left-clicking on it in Dolphin -- and that did indeed open the file with Dragon Player. So the problem apparently has to do with kmail, which seems not to be able to use the file associations in handling attachments.

Comment

Working...
            X