X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't permanently delete folders

The weirdest thing is happeing.
    Since a few weeks all folders i delete magicly reappear after some time (we're speaking within a few hours).
    Files stay deleted, however folders keep coming back.

It's a secondary hard drive in ntfs. Anyone who can shed some light as to why/how this could be happening.
    Or whatever information you'dd need for help solving this, just ask.

Are you re-booting into windows often?

Otherwise, sounds like a possible corruption. Try removing the file in a terminal and then immediately re-listing
    the contents to see if they're actually being deleted. Could be dolphin not catching/showing you an error message.

Please Read Me

Comment

Files stay deleted, the folders aren't. I have done the relisting, and doing the F5 to refresh teh window, and it doesn't show the deleted folders. It's just after a while they reappear.
      I also have nautilus installed, and thus tried deleting through using nautilus, but to no avail.
      Even tried running dolphin using sudo. No difference the folders return after a while.

Comment

Try it in a terminal window.

rmdir

is the command to remove a folder.

Please Read Me

Comment

Tell us the name of the folder(s). You might be experiencing this: [SOLVED] deleted folders reappear after reboot
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm, The foldernames are just alphabetic characters.
            Although made by me manually, There is a program or 3 i used on the files of those folders...

I just noticed that i'm not having the problem on the whole harddrive just and the problematic folders are all in the same 'projects' folder or have the 'projects' folder as on of it ancestors.
            And i hadn't notice but when recreated they do have the creation timestamp of recreation.

I guess i'll have to stop using 1 of those 3 one at a time and see if the problem stops happening. At least i'll have a clue as what's the culprit. Thanks for the info. I'll get back if this 'possible cause' is a dead end.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNimations View Post
              Hmm, The foldernames are just alphabetic characters.
              Although made by me manually, There is a program or 3 i used on the files of those folders...

I just noticed that i'm not having the problem on the whole harddrive just and the problematic folders are all in the same 'projects' folder or have the 'projects' folder as on of it ancestors.
              And i hadn't notice but when recreated they do have the creation timestamp of recreation.

I guess i'll have to stop using 1 of those 3 one at a time and see if the problem stops happening. At least i'll have a clue as what's the culprit. Thanks for the info. I'll get back if this 'possible cause' is a dead end.
              That is very common with some applications if you have those apps and they are set to use a directory on that drive and you open that app, or it autoruns. I find BleachBit is ok for deleting folders...File/Shred Folders/select folder(s).

This is what I use for files I want permanently gone, right click/select Open With, then paste this
              Code:
              shred -f -n35 -u -v -x -z
              into the Open With field at the top, I check Run In Terminal and Do Not Close... for schizz n giggles, I like to watch files get obliterated, lol. You will need to open your file browser as root and add sudo to the shred command for root permissions locations. DISCLAIMER: Be careful with BleachBit or shred, once you use them on files or folders, there is not getting them back so be careful.
              Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 14, 2013, 01:03 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

I've found the culprit.
                I had setup SMES sync to that 'project' folder. Setup it up wrong the first time, as smes wasn't supposed to sync the project folder.
                And for some reason it's configuration had been reverted to the wrong initial setup, thus regularly syncing the deleted folders from the cloud to my harddrive.

Case Solved

Comment

Working...
                X