This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox

I was unsure which forum to put this on, so if you need to move it, that's okay. This was originally for Ubuntuforums, but they've been hacked!

I watched some videos about VirtualBox and have decided I'll likely go for it after I've upgraded my memory in my laptop. I'm using a Lenovo Z570 with 4 GB of RAM. I looked up upgrading its memory and it's not that expensive. I'll therefore soon upgrade it to 8 GB.

I'm running a dual boot Kubuntu/Windows 7 PC, but I want to be able to pop into some Windows-based programs more easily. A very important Windows program to me, Treepad Business, runs flawlessly under WINE after a few tweaks. However, try as I might, I cannot get Final Draft to run under WINE. I can't get it to activate and there's not even a trial. It simply won't let you get into the program. Therefore, if I need to run it, I have to boot to Windows.

I have a couple questions.

1. If I have 8 GB of memory and I allocate 4 to Kubuntu and 4 to Windows 7, that memory only gets allocated to Windows if I actually turn VirtualBox on, right? In other words, when I boot up to Kubuntu and don't need to run Final Draft, I can just keep the 8 GB dedicated to Kubuntu and go about my work. Then if I need to run Final Draft, or some other Windows program, then I turn on VB and Windows gets that 4 GB. Right?
    2. I can still keep my dual boot, right?
    3. My laptop came with Windows Home Premium. I can just use my license for that, can't I?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

1. You are correct. The memory allocation to the VM is only in use by the VM when it is actually being run.
    2. Yes.
    3. You can, but do you have the Windows Home Premium full-installation CD/DVDs? If you don't; at best, you probably got a 'recovery' CD which isn't the same thing; you need to contact Microsoft and request the full-installation CD/DVDs, as you you have the right to one set (may not come 'free', but should not come at full retail either).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      1. You are correct. The memory allocation to the VM is only in use by the VM when it is actually being run.
      2. Yes.
      3. You can, but do you have the Windows Home Premium full-installation CD/DVDs? If you don't; at best, you probably got a 'recovery' CD which isn't the same thing; you need to contact Microsoft and request the full-installation CD/DVDs, as you you have the right to one set (may not come 'free', but should not come at full retail either).
      Re #3. I was planning on using a technician's copy. We used to use them where I used to work to fix customer PCs. You'll be shocked to learn that many people either never get or lose their recovery DVDs. I know not a soul here was expecting to hear that, but it's true. In cases like that, we would use the technician's edition of the exact OS they were licensed to use, Windows Home Premium or whatever. We would install it and then plug in their license information (which was usually still on a sticker under the laptop) and then chase down their drivers. All perfectly legal, as we were simply giving them back the OS they were licensed to use.

Comment

Once you get VirtualBox running, there's really no need to keep dual booting Windows after that. I'd recommend removing it completely, and using the VM for everything that needs Windows.

Comment

There are corner cases. I was recently at a client site and internet access in the building's training room was only through some stupid proprietary USB dongle. My Windows VM saw the device but I couldn't get a connection. Finally booted directly into Windows and it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
            There are corner cases. I was recently at a client site and internet access in the building's training room was only through some stupid proprietary USB dongle. My Windows VM saw the device but I couldn't get a connection. Finally booted directly into Windows and it worked.
            It's because of those kinds of possibilities that I'll hang onto the dual boot for a while after VM is installed. I'm not installing VM until some time next month, so I've got time to plan things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
              Re #3. I was planning on using a technician's copy. We used to use them where I used to work to fix customer PCs. You'll be shocked to learn that many people either never get or lose their recovery DVDs. I know not a soul here was expecting to hear that, but it's true. In cases like that, we would use the technician's edition of the exact OS they were licensed to use, Windows Home Premium or whatever. We would install it and then plug in their license information (which was usually still on a sticker under the laptop) and then chase down their drivers. All perfectly legal, as we were simply giving them back the OS they were licensed to use.
              seems like a nice DVD to have.

my netbook didn't get any DVD (since it doens't have a DVD drive) but i could create one system copy using USB key. once i get a new USB HD i will clone it all anyway.

anyway that one would work. i think even unlicensed would work. but then we get into those murky topics....

Comment

Originally posted by mastablasta View Post
                seems like a nice DVD to have.

my netbook didn't get any DVD (since it doens't have a DVD drive) but i could create one system copy using USB key. once i get a new USB HD i will clone it all anyway.

anyway that one would work. i think even unlicensed would work. but then we get into those murky topics....
                Yeah, be careful with unlicensed downloads. It is entirely possible to find a technician's copy of an OS in a torrent and then download it and use it with a legitimate license. Most people doing those downloads aren't doing it that way. There's a whole underground industry for hacktivating Windows and even Mac OS.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                  I have found if you set the USB to 1.1 instead of 2.0 in the Windows VM settings, some devices start working. One example in my case is my Logitech Harmony Remote.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X