Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Command "sudo apt-get autoremove" wants to remove important packages on Kubuntu 13.04

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command "sudo apt-get autoremove" wants to remove important packages on Kubuntu 13.04

Hello everyone.
    I've already learned to wait some time after an update or upgrade since not every package is available at the same time and the command "sudo apt-get autoremove" may want to remove some important packages. But it's been almost a month since the 13.04 release and I'm still facing this:

[HTML]$ sudo apt-get autoremove
    [sudo] password for george:
    Lendo listas de pacotes... Pronto
    Construindo árvore de dependências
    Lendo informação de estado... Pronto
    Os pacotes a seguir serão REMOVIDOS:
    kde-workspace-randr libblas3gf libc-ares2 libdrm-nouveau1a:i386 libenet1a libkipi9 libktorrent4
    libktpcommoninternalsprivate3 liblapack3gf libllvm3.1 libllvm3.1:i386 libmath-round-perl libmjpegtools-1.9 libpwl5
    libpython3.2 libqpdf8 libquicktime2 libsmi2ldbl libtelepathy-logger2 libwebp2 libwebp2:i386 libwireshark-data
    libwireshark2 libwiretap2 libwsutil2 python3.2 python3.2-minimal wireshark wireshark-common
    0 pacotes atualizados, 0 pacotes novos instalados, 29 a serem removidos e 0 não atualizados.
    Depois desta operação, 132 MB de espaço em disco serão liberados.
    Você quer continuar [S/n]? n
    Abortar.[/HTML]

Why it's trying to remove packages like libktorrent4 or kde-worspace-randr? Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

autoremove wants to uninstall things that no longer have any dependencies, or at least that's how it is supposed to work. have you uninstalled ktorrent or installed a non-official version of it?

kde-workspace-randr is not used in a default Kubuntu install.
    Actually libktorrent4 no longer exists in 13.04, as it has been replaced with libktorrent5

I am guessing you are running a system upgraded to 13.04 (as opposed to a clean install), and at least the packages I have noted above are simply leftovers from the upgrade. Usually these are offered for removal during the process, but it looks like some were missed. No harm, as these are not used by anything and can safely be removed, or not if you wish.

Comment

Besides, nothing prevents you from re-installing something that you want. I don't see anything in that list that would break your system if gone.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
        Hello everyone.
        I've already learned to wait some time after an update or upgrade since not every package is available at the same time and the command "sudo apt-get autoremove" may want to remove some important packages. But it's been almost a month since the 13.04 release and I'm still facing this:

[HTML]$ sudo apt-get autoremove
        [sudo] password for george:
        Lendo listas de pacotes... Pronto
        Construindo árvore de dependências
        Lendo informação de estado... Pronto
        Os pacotes a seguir serão REMOVIDOS:
        kde-workspace-randr libblas3gf libc-ares2 libdrm-nouveau1a:i386 libenet1a libkipi9 libktorrent4
        libktpcommoninternalsprivate3 liblapack3gf libllvm3.1 libllvm3.1:i386 libmath-round-perl libmjpegtools-1.9 libpwl5
        libpython3.2 libqpdf8 libquicktime2 libsmi2ldbl libtelepathy-logger2 libwebp2 libwebp2:i386 libwireshark-data
        libwireshark2 libwiretap2 libwsutil2 python3.2 python3.2-minimal wireshark wireshark-common
        0 pacotes atualizados, 0 pacotes novos instalados, 29 a serem removidos e 0 não atualizados.
        Depois desta operação, 132 MB de espaço em disco serão liberados.
        Você quer continuar [S/n]? n
        Abortar.[/HTML]

Why it's trying to remove packages like libktorrent4 or kde-worspace-randr? Any ideas?
        Thanks in advance.
        What I would do if I were you is run:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        sudo apt-get autoremove
        sudo apt-get install -f
        sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
        This should remove any uneeded packages and will make sure that nothing gets broken etc. Its what I think would be the safest way. It has the added benefit that you have the base kubuntu-desktop installed which means you are sure to have everything you need for a good KDE/Kubuntu experience.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          What I would do if I were you is run:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          sudo apt-get autoremove
          sudo apt-get install -f
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          This should remove any uneeded packages and will make sure that nothing gets broken etc. Its what I think would be the safest way. It has the added benefit that you have the base kubuntu-desktop installed which means you are sure to have everything you need for a good KDE/Kubuntu experience.
          I've done what you suggested. Everything seems to be working fine. Had to reinstall wireshark, though. I'll mark as solved.
          Thank you. And thanks to claydoh and oshunluvr, too.

Comment

Working...
          X