This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of a sudden Kubuntu cannot access my Sandisk thumb drive

I have a 16 gig Sandisk thumb drive that I was using with Ubuntu and Windows and now with Kubuntu 13.04. I recently renamed it "SANDISK RED." However, it quit showing up in Dolphin. It does show up in the KDE Partition Manager. That shows it as /dev/sdb1, which was its prior designation. However, for "type" it's listed as "unknown." This is incorrect. It's a Fat32 drive.

I haven't been yanking it out and shoving it back in carelessly. I've been properly protecting it by unmounting it (in Dolphin) or by removing it after the computer is shut down. However, I suspect the USB hub it was plugged into may be the culprit. Maybe it lost connection and hence somehow messed up its file system.

I've been searching the web for some kind of recovery tool. I strongly suspect the files are still on there. I'd like to get to them because I had not done my daily backup of the drive yet and there are some important text file I made when documenting my install of Kubuntu.

Edit:
    Also, I'm not having luck mounting it in the terminal. Here's what I get:
    sudo mount /dev/sbd1
    mount: can't find /dev/sbd1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

That command is insufficent for mounting. Unless the device is listed in fstab (pre-boot mount points) or mtab (current mount points) that will never work. You must specify a place to mount it. Try this:

sudo mkdir /mnt/thumb
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/thumb

If this fails, post the error messages.

Please Read Me

Comment

I looked at it today in the K Partition Editor and noticed it changed to sdc1. So I did your commands with that substituted in. I got this:

you must specify the filesystem type

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
        I looked at it today in the K Partition Editor and noticed it changed to sdc1. So I did your commands with that substituted in. I got this:
        assuming you made a mount point with the (sudo mkdir /mnt/thumb) AND the thumb drive is formatted fat-32 then it should be

Code:
        sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/thumb
        then you should get access to it in /mnt/thumb

if new error's post them

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

If you're getting an error with vfat mounting, it might be messed up.

If vinny's command doesn't work, try this and post the output:

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdc

sub sdb or sdd for sdc or whatever your system detects it as. Note the absence of a number is intended. I.e. sdc NOT sdc1

Please Read Me

Comment

Try plugging it into a non-kde machine and use something other than kde's partition editor to inspect the drive. I've had plenty of problems with the kde partition editor. Also, try getting rid of the space in the label.

Comment

Thanks for your help. Vinny's command worked. I'm able to access the data again.

Was it probably quirkiness with my USB hub? If so, I'll be bummed. I use that all the time to give me more USB ports. Plus, it keeps the thumb drives away from my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                Thanks for your help. Vinny's command worked. I'm able to access the data again.

Was it probably quirkiness with my USB hub? If so, I'll be bummed. I use that all the time to give me more USB ports. Plus, it keeps the thumb drives away from my computer.
                more likely the way it was renamed/labelled

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Use Sandisk_Red for the name
                  GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
                  X