This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound with HDMI

I have got a problem with HDMI sound in Raring Ringtail. I have a Toshibal L750 laptop, usually hooked up to my TV with HDMI. Picture is great but no sound. The option to select HDMI sound output through System Setting-> Multimedia-> is there, but greyed out.
    I use to have HDMI sound with 12.10, a bit flaky, but i generally got it to work and it was never greyed out.I tried to install the Nvidia driver for my GT 525M graphics card as it incorporates the HDMI port according to the documentation. I always had the Nvidia driver with 12.10, so i thought that might be the problem. But after i installed the driver from Jockey, it tells me the driver is installed but not activated.I don't really need accelerated graphics, i just thought i may need the driver for HDMI sound. The next thing i did was to purge Pulse audio " apt-get purge pulse audio". That would then give me a whole range of options in System Setting-> Multimedia->Phonon, including about 5 HDMI options, but none of them worked " Error activating hardware", or something similar message when trying to use them.
    O, well, back to using the head phone socket, very average sound quality, but at least sound.
    I then downloaded and ran the live cd of Mint 14 KDE, and guess what, HDMI worked flawless!! The only difference i can see, is that Mint uses KDE 9.4 and Kubuntu version 10. So it can not be a driver issue as i use Noveau with Mint.Has anyone else got the same problem and is there a solution. Or maybe wait for a KDE update.

Thanks guys
    sigpic

The problem is most likely the Linux kernel included in Ringtail. If you upgrade your kernel to 3.9.0 your problem will probably go away. This kernel isnt in the repositories yet so youll have to do it manually.
    http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-3-9...mint-15-14-13/

Comment

Thanks whatthefunk, that solved the problem but only partially. I have my HDMI option back, but the sound level is very low. It runs from the TV into a NAD 372 amp, which has enough grunt to start a small car. But i have it turned up over 3/4 of the way to get a just normal sound level.
      Normally, either through the head phone socket or just the TV by itself, it is never higher than about a 1/4 of the way. I checked all the different TV settings and that's all good.
      Seeing as i have the option back, i will still mark this as solved.
      Last edited by GerardV; May 13, 2013, 03:58 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

In a terminal, type "alsamixer" Check the levels of all your sound devices. Use F6 to change sound devices and if anything says "MM" use the M key to unmute it.

Comment

I got the mixer up in a terminal and selected the HDMI card. But there was nothing there to adjust.
          Then i installed Pulseaudio volume control and was able to boost the HDMI output to about 156%.
          That gives me a reasonable sound level so i am happy with that.
          I have enclosed a screenshot so you can see what i mean with the Alsamixer.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Mine looks the same. Sometimes they end up muted and sometimes volume levels on the main card get messed around.
            Anyway, glad you got it working.

Comment

Working...
            X