This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 printer stopped working

This printer works perfectly with Kubuntu 12.04 and 13.04 from my experience. Today I booted my system and the printer acts as if it's not connected to the computer. I reseated the USB cable, but no joy. The green power indicator is lit as well as the "low ink" indicator, which it is low.

How can I check my USB port via terminal command?

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

lsusb

will list all connected USB devices.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      lsusb

will list all connected USB devices.
      Thanks!

Code:
      Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2502 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
      Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b8:0007 Seiko Epson Corp. Printer
      Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046e:5542 Behavior Tech. Computer Corp. 
      Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc. M-BT96a Pilot Optical Mouse
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
      Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:2602 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
      Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0424:2228 Standard Microsystems Corp. 9-in-2 Card Reader
      Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000
      Okay USB Bus 002 does "see" my printer. Am I correct that I can eliminate the computer, USB cable, and the printer's USB interface as the cause?
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

I would say yes. Look into CUPS or printer settings. Odd that it worked for awhile and then didn't.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's a strange, but true fact. Most inkjet printers will not print (like mine is not) when the ink runs out because to do so would damage the printhead. It makes no difference if the user replaces the blank ink tank because other colors are sometimes needed to enhance the black. Since the print head heats the ink to "stick" it on the page, the printer does not print if there's no ink so it will not damage the printhead.

Boy do I feel stupid. I was inside the printer with my meter to determine if the printhead was getting power. Maybe I should check the fuse and see if it's shorted! Duh!

Live and learn. Thanks for the response oshunluvr. Maybe it's time to get that CIS for my printer. Hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
            ... Most inkjet printers will not print (like mine is not) when the ink runs out...
            My HP carries on with no ink. I'd have thought HPs would be included in "most inkjets".

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Odd. My last three HP's (OfficeJets and a PhotoSmart) all stopped printer at low ink even if it was a color I wasn't using at the time. I would have to hit the "Cancel" button to resume printing. Although in my case, all my HP's "printheads" were actually on the cartridges.

Also odd that the Epson gave no warnings, just stopped. Maybe it uses a software indicator only for Windows.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X