This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    I seem to recall something about tmpfs never exceeding 50% available RAM...?
    Its easily configurable in the /etc/fstab. But yes, I think the default is 50%.

Comment

Steve:

Here it is:

Code:
      frank@netbook:~$ ls -al /tmp
      total 52
      drwxrwxrwt 11 root  root  4096 Apr 20 13:20 .
      drwxr-xr-x 26 root  root  4096 Apr 10 21:32 ..
      drwxrwxrwt  2 root  root  4096 Apr 20 13:20 .ICE-unix
      drwx------  2 frank frank 4096 Apr 20 13:20 kde-frank
      drwx------  2 frank frank 4096 Apr 20 13:20 ksocket-frank
      drwx------  2 frank frank 4096 Apr 20 13:20 lur69qbt.tmp
      srwxrwxr-x  1 frank frank    0 Apr 20 13:20 OSL_PIPE_1001_SingleOfficeIPC_b3ebe8802354ba5f09f94e761573351
      drwx------  2 root  root  4096 Apr 20 13:20 pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n
      drwx------  2 frank frank 4096 Apr 20 13:20 pulse-ZFTFkM4Q7dEO
      drwx------  2 frank frank 4096 Apr 20 13:20 ssh-m5HOshNY6NZs
      srwxr-xr-x  1 frank frank    0 Apr 20 13:20 virt_1111
      -rw-------  1 frank frank  975 Apr 20 13:20 virtuoso_hX2050.ini
      drwxr-xr-x  2 root  root  4096 Apr 20 13:20 .winbindd
      -r--r--r--  1 root  root    11 Apr 20 13:20 .X0-lock
      drwxrwxrwt  2 root  root  4096 Apr 20 13:20 .X11-unix
      frank@netbook:~$
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Hm, OK...so your Xsession isn't creating the fallback errors file in /tmp. I don't really understand why you have none at all. Unusual!
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 20, 2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          That appears to be correct Steve (I did not know that). However, this begs the question -- wtf happens with your system when it hits the limit?
          AFAIK it uses swap. Then when that's full: Armageddon!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Hm, OK...so your Xsession isn't creating the fallback errors file in /tmp. I don't really understand why you have none at all. Unusual!
            Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Ladies and Gentleman, the error less Linux system has been found. Quickly, let's image the disc and forensically deconstruct this perfect system!!!

Comment

I say we take it out back and shoot it!

Comment

Steve and dmeyer:

Didn't I read somewhere that X is being replaced? Is this 64 bit version of 12.10 one of those? That would possibly explain the lack of an xsession errors file, no?

It is a box stock install.

It is notable that both my my 32 bit installs (12.04 in both cases) have the file. The year-old one has a 214 kb file, and the x year old one (successively upgraded from 8.04 IIRC), has a 3.2 MB file. Both of these machines have after market nVidia graphics cards. The little Asus machine (with no error file) is an i3 device and uses the integrated Intel HD4000 graphics chip.

In any case, I do no harm in deleting them, correct? The system will just generate another one if/when needed?

Frank.
                Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
                  Steve and dmeyer:

Didn't I read somewhere that X is being replaced? Is this 64 bit version of 12.10 one of those? That would possibly explain the lack of an xsession errors file, no?

It is a box stock install.

It is notable that both my my 32 bit installs (12.04 in both cases) have the file. The year-old one has a 214 kb file, and the x year old one (successively upgraded from 8.04 IIRC), has a 3.2 MB file. Both of these machines have after market nVidia graphics cards. The little Asus machine (with no error file) is an i3 device and uses the integrated Intel HD4000 graphics chip.

In any case, I do no harm in deleting them, correct? The system will just generate another one if/when needed?

Frank.
                  Yeah you can delete the file if you want. It will just come back eventually.

On X being replaced: Not anytime soon. I don't see Wayland becoming the default for a while yet. Until Nvidia jumps on board with Wayland, then X will stay a major force in Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X