Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! Awesome! That's priceless. Even better, you're blessed with a wife with a sense of humour!

Comment

You did leave out one situation, though. Men speaking to women. Oops! PANIC!

Comment

* Men speaking to women: anticipatory, because men assume they'll get what they want but are easily fooled by "deceptive idleness"; deprecated because men never change

Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 07, 2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

if one dose
          Code:
          echo cfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
          dose it stick after a reboot yes/no ? if no how to make it stick ,,,,,and how do you enable the hugepages?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            if one dose
            Code:
            echo cfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
            dose it stick after a reboot yes/no ? if no how to make it stick ,,,,,and how do you enable the hugepages?

VINNY
            The easiest way to do it, which insures co-operation with Ubuntu kernel updates, etc., is to add it to the Grub boot loader.

edit as root:
            /etc/default/grub

Edit or add this configuration option so it looks like the following:
            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="elevator=cfq"

There are other ways to do it, but since another change, which has to be passed at boot, turned out to be even better for my situation, I chose this one. If you are interested in trying it, just use this entry, instead:
            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="elevator=cfq transparent_hugepage=always"

Save the file, and run:
            sudo update-grub

Then reboot.

Comment

I should mention, when you configure the scheduler at boot, it becomes the default for the whole system. You can't set it for individual devices on the kernel command line.

Comment

thank you @PraysToPan ,,,,,,will let you know how it Pans out ,,,,,

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  * Men speaking to women: anticipatory, because men assume they'll get what they want but are easily fooled by "deceptive idleness"; deprecated because men never change

Certainly more than a kernel of truth in it!

We tend do well with laziness, impatience, and hubris in our work lives, after all!

Comment

well it took , and should be easy to undo if decided to .
                    will put things through there paces tomorrow and see if it helps any or not .

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      LOL, I just had to explain all this stuff to my wife -- sometimes she asks what I'm doing on here, and I'll tell her! We decided that men and women implement the following queueing algorithms:

* Men speaking to men: noop, because men don't need anything more than a simple FIFO buffer
                      * Women speaking to women: CFQ, of course, because women are always completely fair with each other
                      * Women speaking to men: deadline, because women will wait only a short finite time before forcibly changing the priority of men

Bwhahahaha.
                      I'm going to see if I can get that onto a t-shirt! :cool:

Please Read Me

Comment

Don't forget the fourth one that I added later

Comment

Working...
                        X