This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.10 Really Long Boot Time

Before upgrading to 12.10, I had around a 10 - 15 second boot time. Its now well over a minute. After GRUB, I get a flashing cursor for a few seconds and then a wall of text. The splash screen that comes up next is of very poor quality and looks a lot like the recovery mode splash screen. Boot hangs at this screen for a minute waiting for an internet connection, then goes to LightDM. Whats going on here?

Sounds like something is slow starting up (duh, right?). IME it's usually related to networking or a partition being checked or possibly a bad graphics driver/grub setup.

Obviously, without more information there won't be much help available.

Please Read Me

Comment

In the grub menu, if you press "e", you can delete "splash" from the kernel boot line, then do Ctrl-x to continue booting, and see if that helps. If it does, you can make a permanent change to the line in /etc/default/grub, on the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= xxx" line.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
        Whats going on here?
        Look at your dmesg and see where the delay is.

--
        Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          In the grub menu, if you press "e", you can delete "splash" from the kernel boot line, then do Ctrl-x to continue booting, and see if that helps. If it does, you can make a permanent change to the line in /etc/default/grub, on the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= xxx" line.
          This only takes out the ugly pixilated splash screen and leaves with an even more ugly wall of text.

The real issue here is why in the world is it taking so long to get my internet connection!!!

From /var/log/dmesg
          Code:
          [   65.267789] r8169 0000:05:00.0: >eth0: link down
          [   65.268196] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
          [   65.270444] init: udev-fallback-graphics main process (966) terminated with status 1
          [   65.296946] init: failsafe main process (858) killed by TERM signal

Comment

Working...
          X