This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDMI Support in Kubuntu 12.10 is Poor

When can we expect as a kubuntu community expect better hdmi support? Really, why should any avid movie or media goer want to use an os with as many problems as Kubuntu when it comes to hdmi compatablity? Can anyone answer that?

Sure I can answer some. It is an xorg issue in that manufacturers do not support us In the land of Linux. As an Ubuntu based distro, we have very little to do with video and driver development.

What precisely do you mean by hdmi support, specifically ? I have zero issues with monitors. I have had problems with cheap 720p tv's that do not report edid info properly.

Just ranting, while cathartic will not do a lot to help us help you, however. If we had an idea of what you are having a problem with, someone might be able to assist.

I say this as someone who has used boxee and xbmc as a media center as a cord cutter for a number of years now, initially using a desktop computer connected to a cheap Visio tv, via hdmi for both audio and video. Now using a netbook, but connected to a monitor and external speakers (down sizing sucks!)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by claydoh; Feb 19, 2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Nice response Claydoh. I thought about pointing out it's really a hardware manufacturers problem and the fact that this is a FREE OS so no one owes anyone anything and stuff like that, but decided to pass instead.

Please Read Me

Comment

It is this attitude that keeps Linux distros as the smallest market share of all OS's. I love My version of Linux. I have had a mostly pleasant experience but
        from time to time, it gives me fits when it comes to having something just work (plug and play). I have some programer friends that might want to help in their spare time. I would love to see this continued problem with hardware manufacturers and thier drivers start working better with Linux. I was trying to plub my PC into my flat screen RCA hdmi port. The screen size was not a proper fit with the screen on my TV but, it worked. In have no sound coming out of the TV speakers yet when I do a test through system settings it at times works. I know I am not owesd anything from the communtity but, If the Linux community wants to see it market share to grow better, making the transtion to linux as seamless as possible would greatly help that.

Comment

While I agree and share your frustration - especially with TV screen and sound support - the problem you're running up against is not (in my opinion only) a distro "attitude" problem, but an illustration of the largest difference between the Windows and Linux environments.

Windows is a commercial product where all developers are paid and consumers are charged for the product. Microsoft conspires with many hardware manufacturers to foist their product on the general product and to keep both pieces of this puzzle (hardware and software) strictly functioning with Windows. The end result is little or no Linux support for the majority of devices.

Linux is free (of license restrictions and cost) and almost all developers work without pay. We consumers do not pay anyone for the product. The trade-off is if you run into a problem, you have to be willing to take the time to fix your issue. You cannot presume that anyone else has your problem or you interests at the forefront of their list of duties. You need to learn to troubleshoot, document, and research your issues and then when that isn't enough, come to a forum like this one and ask (in the right way) for help. More often than not, if you do your homework, post what you've done and know, and describe well enough what help you need someone or many someones will try and lend a hand. This is the price we pay for not buying customer service.

The monitor resolution issue you are having is wholly the fault of the hardware manufacturer's unwillingness to support Linux because of Microsoft doing what they can to ensure their continued stranglehold on the market. But not one bit of the blame lies with the people on this forum or the people who devote their time producing this (or any other) distro as a volunteer. If you want to complain about this monitor issue, I suggest doing it on the manufacturer's forum - as if it would make any difference. There's nothing anyone here can do to fix the overall situation.

Most of us who consider ourselves experienced Linux users, have learned to research hardware compatibility before making a purchase. In the case of attempting to adopt a piece of hardware already owned or a cashing in on a really great deal, we expect problems and roll up our sleeves and get to work.

This is also why a lot of linux beginners do a lot of distro "hopping" trying to find a distro that works the way they want and with their equipment. Eventually, most of us discover how to make things work and then we settle on a distro that fits our likes and needs.

In regards to your particular issue: their are a great many helpful folks with the expertise to assist you here. I invite you to start a new thread with the details of your situation. I am sure something positive will come of it.

Please Read Me

Comment

wile I am sory to hear of your misfortune with HDMI on your hardware ,,,,,, I am just as happy as can be with it on mine .
            I plug in the cable a dialogue pops up I set what I like for resolution and position ,,,,open the audio settings and select HDMI output and watch it .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You have not told use what your video hardware is and what driver you are using. How are we to help you?

If you have an ati/amd video card with the free radeon driver see the Feature Matrix to check if HDMI sound is supported for your hardware. If it is you will need to boot with a kernel the option radeon.audio=1 to enable sound thru the HDMI.

If you have the ati driver with ati/amd hardware you will have to check their docks for your hardware

If you have nvidia with the free nouveau driver see the feature matrix to see if your hardware is supported for HDMI out.

If you have nvidia and the nvidia driver then you will need to check the docs for your hardware.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

As for the specs of my video harware for my Home pc, I do not have that right now since I am at my laptop. I will get that tonight. As for this attitude that I spoke of, It seams to me that the commmunity at times wants "computer geeks" only. I am fairly savey with the command line and understanding of different linux products (OS's). I am not a programmer yet, I do have friends who are. When I speak with them again, I will get their imput about these issues, and see what they think. I have allot to be thankful for concerning what the Linux community has done for me in the amount of free suppport that I have recieved (like this forum). I want more than anything to see those who are average users to enjoy the experience that I have enjoyed. It seams that there are always reasons why they stay away. I would love to see all of thier excuses taken away. I know that Microsoft pays thier programmers and provides customer service though a purchased product. I get that but, We as a community have a unique advantage over time over MS OS. We have an entire world community that volunteers their expertise and time to make this a better OS. MS cannot easily compete with that over the long run because they have a closed environment in which only they control. Every one in the world who loves this product could make this product better. If I can, I will contribute what I can to make this a better product. I owe it to the community. I know that the manufactuers have a absolute vital reason to cowtow to MS. If we can grow the market share, we can take the excuse away from the manufacutuers so that they can start making better video drivers and software (ect.) for the linux community. I know that this will be hard to do but, I am getting a little sick of the same old excuses to why we cannot do x or z. I know that oshunluvr has valid reasons and what we are dealing with now but, we need to continue to look for creative ways to make things happen. I want to be a positive influence in this process. I love Kubuntu even with its problems. I just want to see it continually get better instead of having distro after distro release having to explain to users the same old excuses and shared frustrations.

Comment

My home Computer has an Nvidia 8400GS video card with a OpenGL 3.3.0 Nvidia 304.43 driver. Please help me with my HDMI problems. Thank you.

Comment

Just to let everyone know here on he forum that, I do not live to far from Redmond, WA. which of course is where Microsoft is headquartered. I might to get further insights for people that my programmer friend knows about the scoop concering video manufactuers and the drivers that they make, and why, and how specifically Microsoft affects the process. I might get some insights that maybe I or others on this forum haven't thought about or considered. I was refered to a programmer that works in the video and multimedia department of MS that I know (but did not know that he worked for MS). Let me know what all of you think.

Comment

Working...
                    X