This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

partition help

I want to do a clean install of 12.10 on my Lenovo s10-3s netbook onto the partition where 11.04, my current system, is located. As far as I know, my hd has 3 partitions: Windows 7 Starter, Kubuntu 11.04 (boots on this) and the Lenovo Quick Start partition. I ran the parted -l command on a Konsole, to get the partition list, then ran df -h to find out where Kubuntu was. Here's how both commands came out:

steve@steve-Ideapad-S10-3s:~$ sudo parted -l
    [sudo] password for steve:
    Model: ATA WDC WD3200BEVT-2 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 211MB 210MB primary ntfs boot
    2 211MB 273GB 273GB primary ntfs
    3 273GB 304GB 31.1GB extended lba
    5 273GB 281GB 8186MB logical ntfs
    8 281GB 287GB 5502MB logical ext4
    9 287GB 289GB 2136MB logical linux-swap(v1)
    6 289GB 302GB 13.2GB logical ext4
    7 302GB 304GB 2135MB logical linux-swap(v1)
    4 304GB 320GB 15.8GB primary ntfs diag

steve@steve-Ideapad-S10-3s:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda8 5.1G 4.1G 779M 85% /
    none 992M 684K 992M 1% /dev
    none 1002M 3.5M 998M 1% /dev/shm
    none 1002M 88K 1001M 1% /var/run
    none 1002M 0 1002M 0% /var/lock
    steve@steve-Ideapad-S10-3s:~$

I don't know what all those partitions mean, but I do think I understand that 11.04 is located on /dev/sda, which means it is only 5.1 gb. Is that right? Seems awfully small to me, considering that other partitions are larger and 11.04 is supposed to be where the computer boots. Before I install 12.10 onto Kubuntu's partition, I want to make sure what I'm doing and that the partitions are acceptable. Any ideas? (Dumb question--this forum always has ideas!)

Code:
    Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
     1      1049kB  211MB  210MB   primary   ntfs            boot # Window related partition (probably the window boot/recovery partition)
     2      211MB   273GB  273GB   primary   ntfs                 # Window related partition (probably the windows install)
     3      273GB   304GB  31.1GB  extended                  lba  # Extended partition that contains the below logical partitions
     5      273GB   281GB  8186MB  logical   ntfs                 # Windows related... possibly the Lenovo Quick Start partition
     8      281GB   287GB  5502MB  logical   ext4                 # Linux partition, looks like the root filesystem
     9      287GB   289GB  2136MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)       # Swap space
     6      289GB   302GB  13.2GB  logical   ext4                 # Linux partition... seemingly unused according to df...
     7      302GB   304GB  2135MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)       # More swap space
     4      304GB   320GB  15.8GB  primary   ntfs            diag # Another windows related partition, could also be the Lenovo Quick Start partition
    I would guess you have two linux installs, one on 8 one on 6, there is little point in having two separate swap spaces.

My guess is you will want to delete 8,9,6 and 7 and install in the free space (needed partitions will be created by the installer).

But you should backup anything you need off the partitions 8 and 6 first.

Not sure why you have so many ntfs partitions, but you can always mount them and take a look inside them to see what they contain. I would do the same for 6 before you delete it.
    Last edited by james147; Dec 01, 2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

281GB = usable after formating
      287GB = size before formating
      5502MB (or 5.502GB) = used space

The partition numbering system indicates that you've repartitioned part of the HDD.

james147 is spot-on as to trying to straighten out the disk. (by the way the number one partition is the booting partition that's booting Windows)
      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
        281GB = usable after formating
        287GB = size before formating
        5502MB (or 5.502GB) = used space
        no ,,,,,,,,,, 281GB is the position in the drive that /dev/sda8 starts at and 287GB is the position of the end of that partition 5502 or 5.5 GB is the usable space contained within the partition ,,,, that is between the start and end .
        how much is used or unused is not shown in the parted output ,,,,but the df -h shows that 4.1 or 85% is being used.

not jumping on you @luckyone just helping to clarify for your knowledge

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

So, when he installed 11.04, he used the method to keep a separate /home? That's what it looks like to me.

I would suggest to look at the Windows (ntfs) partitions and see if there's a lot of free space or not and perhaps, re-size them so there's a bit more space for a Linux partition. Then just have one and one swap partition. Or, if you prefer the separate home, two for that. However, 13GB isn't bad if you have a spare (data) HDD and I would have a spare one for the NTFS data as well.

I don't like having data on my main OS drives. It's okay if you have backups but I try to copy any data that gets written there to another (storage) drive ASAP. That's just me, though.

Comment

Duh! Missed my nap today. I'm also currently using pain meds for a broken rib. I should know better. All I had to do was actually read that readout. Thanks for straightening this out. Nothing quite like correct information.
            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              Code:
               1      1049kB  211MB  210MB   primary   ntfs            boot # Window related partition (probably the window boot/recovery partition)
               2      211MB   273GB  273GB   primary   ntfs                 # Window related partition (probably the windows install)
               3      273GB   304GB  31.1GB  extended                  lba  # Extended partition that contains the below logical partitions
               5      273GB   281GB  8186MB  logical   ntfs                 # Windows related... possibly the Lenovo Quick Start partition
               8      281GB   287GB  5502MB  logical   ext4                 # Linux partition, looks like the root filesystem
               6      289GB   302GB  13.2GB  logical   ext4                 # Linux partition... seemingly unused according to df...
               4      304GB   320GB  15.8GB  primary   ntfs            diag # Another windows related partition, could also be the Lenovo Quick Start partition
              I would guess you have two linux installs, one on 8 one on 6, there is little point in having two separate swap spaces.

My guess is you will want to delete 8,9,6 and 7 and install in the free space (needed partitions will be created by the installer).

Not sure why you have so many ntfs partitions, but you can always mount them and take a look inside them to see what they contain. I would do the same for 6 before you delete it.
              I did try to install Ubuntu on this computer once, but there wasn't enough memory and the process was aborted. Perhaps it had created the partition before it was cut off, and that would explain the two installs.

What's the easiest way to explore the partitions? How do I mount the ntfs partitions? What should I be looking for?

Comment

Partition links: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...on-Regenerated

How do I mount the ntfs partitions?
                ??

Click them in the file manger - the ntfs partition should be mounted. Right click to unmount.

KDE Userbase (Dolphin file manager):

- http://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin

Ubuntu community:

- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount
                - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...dowsPartitions
                - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ountPartitions
                Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

OneLine's advice is excellent, as usual. Here are more options:

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post

What's the easiest way to explore the partitions?
                  IMHO, take a 2GB or 4GB USB memory stick, and use unetbootin to install a Parted Magic Live ISO on it. This makes a great tool for partitioning, for changing the sizes of partitions, and for troubleshooting problems such as the ones you are having, including mounting and unmounting individual partitions to examine the contents.

How do I mount the ntfs partitions?
                  Install the ntfs-3g package, then use a normal mount command:

Code:
                  sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdxn /mnt/WINDOWSTUFF
                  Last edited by dibl; Dec 02, 2012, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                    Code:

Sorry for responding so late to this, but I'm not sure how to delete those partitions.
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 09, 2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

do like @dibl suggested in post #9 or a Gparted live ,,,,,then use one of these tools to do like @james147 suggested in post #2

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I kinda only skimmed through all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat others' advice:

By far, the easiest way to re-partition is to do as dibl suggested and boot to a live USB/CD version of Parted Magic or - if you're more comfortable using Kubuntu - create a live Kubuntu USB stick and use KDE Partition Manager or install gparted and use that. The advantage to using the Kubuntu Live USB is you can go right to installation as soon as you've re-partitioned the drive without rebooting.

I've never seen a windows 7 install that uses four partitions, but lets assume you need all of them. That only leaves you with 22gb for your entire linux install, home, and swap. That's enough - but not much left over for home data. Clearly though, you've been using it this way for a while so maybe that's enough for you.

If you wish continue with the current amount of space: I would boot to the live USB, mount both linux partitions (6 and 8) and the windows partition #2. Copy any data from the linux partitions you want to save to a folder on the windows partition. Then, using the partitioning tool of your choice - delete partitions 6,7,8 (leaving 9 for your swap), create a single new partition using the now free 20GB, format it ext4 and install Kubuntu to it.

With only 20GB, I wouldn't explore having a separate home partition.

If you wish to have more space for linux: I would boot into windows, use the windows defrag and shrink tool, then re-boot to Kubuntu and then re-partition. I recommend at least 12GB for your install and 10GB or more for home.

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread--I've had a load of work recently and haven't been able to put together all the comments and actually try installing Kubuntu on a repartitioned hd. I've also seen comments on my creating a home partition, and who knows what more, so I thought I'd try to explain some of the mysteries and then present one more example of my inability to solve partitioning problems.

My Lenovo netbook came with Windows 7 Starter, and also includes two Lenovo packages, which I presume use up the other two ntfs partitions. One of the partitions drives their Quickstart option, a quick way to enter internet and do standard tasks. The other partition is made up of Veriface, a face-recognition program which rarely recognizes me, and a number of other programs I don't use. So that accounts for all the ntfs partitions. As for the two linux partitions, one of them is 11.04, which I installed on what was meant to be a Windows-only backup computer for work. I got to like Kubuntu, so I tried it on the Lenovo, and it installed fine though with a different desktop. Later on I tried to install Ubuntu 11.10, but the process was stopped due to lack of space. That might account for the extra linux partition. So 6,7,8 & 9 can be deleted.

Once I understood the situation, I proceeded to boot onto a live usb stick in order to use kde partition manager to wipe out the doomed partitions. I booted into 12.10 all right, then pressed TRY to get to the programs. The kde manager loaded fine, and everything seemed OK until I tried to delete partition 8 (bad ubuntu). Wouldn't work--all I got on this, and subsequent attempts to delete the other partitions, was an error message telling me I had to unmount other partitions with a higher logical number. What? My confidence left me at this point and I don't know what to do next. I haven't tried gparted yet, and don't want to until I find out why my computer didn't obey me this time. Any recommendations out there?
                          Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 17, 2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                            until I tried to delete partition 8 (bad ubuntu). Wouldn't work--all I got on this, and subsequent attempts to delete the other partitions, was an error message telling me I had to unmount other partitions with a higher logical number.
                            Are you sure non of the partitions are mounted? If they are unmount them and try again (type mount in a terminal to see a list of what is mounted). If not have you tried rebooting? That is the easiest way to reload partition tables to make sure they are not in an incosistant state. I also recommend trying gparted as last time I looked at it kde partition manager was unmaintained.

Comment

I suspect the swap partitions are being auto-mounted and one of them was #9 if I recall correctly. Reboot to the liveUSB, when you get to the desktop open a konsole terminal and type:

sudo swapoff -a

Then type:

mount

and verify nothing from the hard drive is mounted. You should be able to delete them now. If you're using KDE Partition Manager all partitions that are mounted should have a locked padlock icon displayed on them.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X