This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.10 doesnt see my partitions

Ive been running Linux for about 10 years of many different flavors. The problem has never happened before.Even back in the early Redhat days and Gentoo days i didnt have this problem. Ok so here it is, Kubuntu doesnt see my windows partition, it sees the whole HDD, and like always gives the option to use whole HDD, which of course i do not want to do. Why is this a problem now when it never has been before, anyone got any ideas.
    Ive checked the bios to see if i can see anything that might be causing it, such as legacy drivers and such. Installing and wiping my windows partition is not an option. I did create a separate partition for Kubuntu when i originally formatted and installed windows, so i have a windows partition that is 160gb and what is supposed to be my Kubuntu partition that's 180gb. Any ideas?

so your talking about the installer then right?

1-if you boot the live media to the desktop and mount the windows partition before you launch the installer dose the installer see the partition then?

2-dose the installer see the partition you made for Kubuntu and is just showing it or realy the hole HD as one drive?

3- did you go to manual partitioning mode or just stay on the guided screen?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've had this happen in the past. I think there must be some small bit in the MBR that Ubiquity (the installer) doesn't like. I have five drives in my system at the moment and Ubiquity doesn't see one of them.

Before you start mucking about with your MBR, try booting to 12.04 and see if that version of the installer "sees" your partitions properly. You could install 12.04 and then upgrade to 12.10.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks guys for the response , when i get a few mins i will try your suggestions oshunluvr . I have tried to boot to the live desktop and mount the windows partition, but it doesnt show. It just shows the whole HDD. And yes i have tried to go the manual partition route and it just sees one big HDD with no partitions.

Comment

ok tried installing 12.04 but the same thing happened. One big HDD which it says is unallocated. Any suggestions?

Comment

Is the disk encrypted?
            --
            Intocabile

Comment

A few times I have seen similar and the solution was to start up in Windows and do a check disk, this can repair the little problem that prevents Linux to see the partition.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                A few times I have seen similar and the solution was to start up in Windows and do a check disk, this can repair the little problem that prevents Linux to see the partition.
                +1 on that ,,even a little bit of file system corruption on NTFS can cause linux not to see it well !!

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  If you hibernate a windows session something like this can happen.

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

I always have a gparted live cd/usb stick. Try that and see if it sees your partitions correctly. If there are corruptions it will also notify you.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                    X