Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a simple howto for recovering after a failed update 12.04 -> 12.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a simple howto for recovering after a failed update 12.04 -> 12.10?

Is there a simple howto for recovering after a failed update 12.04 -> 12.10? My Win7 bootloader no longer finds my 12.10 partition, which is on a separate hard drive. (Win7 on sda1/2, 12.10 on sdb2) I've been using EasyBCD to run the show. But now it doesn't seem to find 12.10 after the upgrade, or else 12.10 is broken. I don't know where linux is booting from (I never have been able to understand GRUB). I just tried supergrub but I guess I'm stupider than I thought, as it got me exactly nowhere. The only way I have been able to fix a linux distro's boot troubles over the last 15 years is to reinstall the distro. Pathetic, I know. But I need to keep my /home dir which, unfortunately, is not a separate partition.

It was dumping me into Grub4Dos (or something like that). Can I run through the install and *only* install the bootloader, pointing toward a known partition, somehow?

Thanks for any ideas,
    Patti

Generally; you can boot to a liveUSB and re-install GRUB. But if you're using the Win7 bootloader, why would you install grub? That would wipe out the Win7 bootloader signature. EasyBCD is a windows program - can't help you there.

You could easily enough boot into linux using a liveUSB or CD, copy your /home files from the linux partition to the windows partition, re-install linux, and copy the files back.

Without knowing what you did or what happened to cause the problem or if or where you have grub installed at all - it's kinda hard to offer any solutions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X