This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobicanprogram View Post
    dmeyer: I turned off "Enable desktop effects on startup". Reboot. Still have GPU errors in dmesg. Still have intermittent "hung" performance. Still have kmail taking 2-3 tries before it comes up.

Nuts. Any other thoughts? Still can't get ./configure to work so that I can compile the intel-gpu-tools. That tool is supposed to extract info from the GPU error log which might be helpful.

Are there any experimental ppa driver repositories that I should consider?

Any idea how to kill the Akonadi errors in the .xsession-errors log?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bob
    If this is a newish install and you don't mind rebuilding your tags, search database etc, I highly recommend logging out, then dropping to a tty with Alt+Crtl+F1 and running
    Code:
    mv ~/.kde ~/.kde_old
    , if you do mind losing your databases but don't mind losing you settings the run
    Code:
    mv ~/.kde/share/config ~/.kde/share/config_old
    Then log back in, maybe you have some old setting or something thats messing Akonadi up. Set up Akonadi and try again, any better?

Comment

I ran a tail -f .xsession-errors on a console while attempting to startup kmail. Lots of stuff goes into the log during this attempt. Even once kmail limps alive I get lots of messages like this:

===
      X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4
      Major opcode: 54 (X_FreePixmap)
      Resource id: 0x18006aa
      QDir::mkpath: Empty or null file name(s)

===

Any ideas what this means?

bob

Comment

dmeyer: I'm assuming that I could put back these directories if no improvement is found. How exactly does one setup Akonadi? I don't believe I had to do that on any occasion yet.

bob

Comment

The tail -f experiment yields some interesting results. If I run it on one terminal window and then open another on the same desktop I see this error corelated exactly:

===
          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
          ===

No kidding ... misbehave. Actually the terminal windows are remarkably stable with only the occasional misbehavior noted.

What is going on here? App startup timing problems?

Also those pixmap errors can be produced by simply switching apps on different desktops.

bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobicanprogram View Post
            I ran a tail -f .xsession-errors on a console while attempting to startup kmail. Lots of stuff goes into the log during this attempt. Even once kmail limps alive I get lots of messages like this:

===
            X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4
            Major opcode: 54 (X_FreePixmap)
            Resource id: 0x18006aa
            QDir::mkpath: Empty or null file name(s)

===

Any ideas what this means?

bob
            Yeah you could easily undo that. I really don't have any more ideas. Sorry, hopefully somebody else comes along and helps you out.

Comment

Have you looked at the kmail slowness at all, separately from xorg? It might be an akonadi problem from the upgrade from kde 4.8x in 12.04 to 4.9x i n 12.10. Getting KDE 4.10 might help, there have been improvements there.

You might try stopping akonadi and nepomuk, and moving/deleting ~/.config/akonadi, which will delete the database -but not the mail/etc or the account information themselves. It will then recreate the database, and may fix the slowdown. If your slowdown in kmail also shows high disk activity, you might want to see if disabling indexing helps - I am not sure if the option to toggle the indexing of email specifically is in the KDE 4.9x found in Kubuntu 12.10, but seeing if turning in that off in general helps might be wise.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Have you looked at the kmail slowness at all, separately from xorg? It might be an akonadi problem from the upgrade from kde 4.8x in 12.04 to 4.9x i n 12.10. Getting KDE 4.10 might help, there have been improvements there.

You might try stopping akonadi and nepomuk, and moving/deleting ~/.config/akonadi, which will delete the database -but not the mail/etc or the account information themselves. It will then recreate the database, and may fix the slowdown. If your slowdown in kmail also shows high disk activity, you might want to see if disabling indexing helps - I am not sure if the option to toggle the indexing of email specifically is in the KDE 4.9x found in Kubuntu 12.10, but seeing if turning in that off in general helps might be wise.
                I already recommended it and he said it didn't help. We have actually been tackling two different problems simultaneously, the slow folders etc is a kmail issue but he's also sometimes getting drawing errors of some kind.

Comment

dmeyer: I have been in "conversation" with the folks at the Intel Open Source center. They seem to "know" about a bug in the version of the i915 video driver that comes with Kubuntu. They suggested I upgrade to the latest and greatest from their site, which I did. Still no joy. Still getting GPU hang messages in the dmesg log.

You wouldn't happen to know how to find the version of a video driver that is installed?

claydoh: Meanwhile in the .kde/share/config directory I have lots of akonadi files.

-rw------- 1 bob bob 45 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_akonotes_resource_0rc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 424 Apr 15 19:38 akonadi_archivemail_agentrc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 20 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_contactrc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 28 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_contacts_resource_0rc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 151 Sep 4 2012 akonadi-firstrunrc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 60 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_ical_resource_0rc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 74 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 77 Aug 31 2012 akonadi_mailfilter_agentrc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 165 Apr 16 14:48 akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 168 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_pop3_resource_0rc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 152 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_pop3_resource_1rc
                  -rw------- 1 bob bob 170 Sep 4 2012 akonadi_pop3_resource_2rc

Which should I move aside? Should I shutdown akonadi first?

btw. I am running kde 4.10.2

bob

Comment

The Intel boys are recommending that I upgrade to Linux 3.8 to get rid of the GPU bug. Is that worth doing or do I simply wait now for kubuntu 13.04 to come out?

bob

Comment

I went ahead and upgraded to 13.04 beta and my GPU errors have disappeared. My screen seems to be artifact free now. However, my kmail problems and most of the errors in my .xsession-errors file persist.

Since I'm up yet another version, I'm going to move this conversation to the 13.04 topic area.

bob

Comment

Working...
                      X