This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmail startup problems

I had a thread going in the 12.04 area related to mouse and keyboard freezing. Along the way I ran a command which upgraded my Kubuntu to 12.10, so I figured best to move my remaining problems to this area. The Kubuntu 12.10 has almost cured the mouse and keyboard problems but my kmail is essentially unusable. It often takes 2-3 tries to get it started. Once started switching between kmail folders is very slow ... sometimes as long as 30sec to switch. Once kmail is alive for a while it seems to get faster, but never really snappy. On reboot all the same behaviors recur.

Where do I look for kmail errors? .xsession-errors? If so then there appear to be lots of errors in that xsession file.

A grep for kmail in the above error file yields the following:

=====
    kmail2(1779)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"

kmail2(1779)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

kmail2(1779)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

kmail2(1779) MessageList::Core::ModelInvariantRowMapperPrivate: :modelIndexRowToModelInvariantIndexInternal: Requested invariant for storage row index 1 not found in history

kmail2(1779)/libkleo QGpgMECryptoConfigComponent::runGpgConf: Running 'gpgconf --list-options "dirmngr" ' failed. Operation not permitted , but try that command to see the real output
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/OCSP/allow-ocsp"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/OCSP/ignore-ocsp-service-url"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/HTTP/ignore-http-dp"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/HTTP/disable-http"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/HTTP/honor-http-proxy"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/LDAP/ignore-ldap-dp"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/LDAP/disable-ldap"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/OCSP/ocsp-responder"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/OCSP/ocsp-signer"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/HTTP/http-proxy"
    kmail2(1779) SMIMECryptoConfigEntries::configEntry: "Backend error: gpgconf doesn't seem to know the entry for dirmngr/LDAP/ldap-proxy"

=====

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these errors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bob

Lots more errors and warnings in the .xsession-errors file including these:

=======
    kwalletd(1661)/kdeui (Wallet) KWalletD::setupDialog: Application ' "KMail" ' using kwallet without parent window!

X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
    Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
    Resource id: 0x0

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""

plasma-desktop(1689)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability

file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:103: TypeError: Result of expression 'listView' [null] is not an object.

X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4
    Major opcode: 54 (X_FreePixmap)
    Resource id: 0x18000b2

akonaditray(1719)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"

kded(1645): The kded module name ' "muon-notifier" ' is invalid!

synaptikscfg: error: no touchpad found

Couldn't find node mask-center. Skipping rendering.

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/bob/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"

Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.

plasma-desktop(1689) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Keywords in "/home/bob/.local/share/applications/firefox-2.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).

=======

Many of these errors/warnings are repeated multiple times with slightly different text. Should these be of concern? If so any suggestions on how to fix those which are important?

bob

Comment

Don't know if this is related. I found these in the Xlog.0.log

====
      [ 69.487] [mi] Increasing EQ size to 512 to prevent dropped events.
      [ 69.487] [mi] EQ processing has resumed after 141 dropped events.
      [ 69.487] [mi] This may be caused my a misbehaving driver monopolizing the server's resources.
      (EE) [mi] EQ overflowing. Additional events will be discarded until existing events are processed.

[ 75.861] [mi] Increasing EQ size to 1024 to prevent dropped events.
      [ 75.861] [mi] EQ processing has resumed after 143 dropped events.
      [ 75.861] [mi] This may be caused my a misbehaving driver monopolizing the server's resources.
      [ 161.365] (EE) intel(0): Detected a hung GPU, disabling acceleration.
      [ 161.365] (EE) intel(0): When reporting this, please include i915_error_state from debugfs and the full dmesg.

====

My info center reports that my graphic card is:

Intel 2nd generation coreprocessor family integrated graphic controller
      ASUSTek Computer rev 09

kernel module: i915
      Intel Open Source Tech Center

Any thoughts?

bob

Comment

Check to see if you have this package installed:

libgl1-mesa-dri

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr: yes the libgl1-mesa-dri package is installed.

btw: I ran the Muon Package manager to find out. Don't know if it was related but I had my first hard crash with this system.

bob

Comment

Also, Kmail can be slightly slow with IMAP because by default it doesn't keep the emails on the desktop and gets them on request. Enable Disconneted IMAP, give it time to download messages and soon your problem in terms of folders opening etc will be gone.

Comment

dmeyer: I'm using POP and my emails already downloaded are kept in kmail.

I turned off the semantic desktop. Now kmail comes up better. ie. on 1st try. My video is quite wonky though. Areas om screen just suddenly go grey or transparent and then return a few seconds later.

I still have some kmail errors in the xsession-errors file:

===
              kmail2(1786)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"
              kmail2(1786)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
              kmail2(1786)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
              kwalletd(1673)/kdeui (Wallet) KWalletD::setupDialog: Application ' "KMail" ' using kwallet without parent window!

===

Wow this interface is really almost unusable it is so wonky just now.

bob

Comment

I turned desktop effects to Qt raster and the grey artifacts seem to be better. However, I'm no longer sure if anything I do is causal because this system is so flaky.

I think I need to tackle the problem from the driver up. There appears to be issues with the GPU in the i915 driver I've got loaded here.

Any thoughts on how I can eliminate the GPU hang error I'm seeing in dmesg and the Xorg logs?

bob

Comment

Start by getting the exact model of your GPU and searching for fixes. Sounds like you're having driver/xorg issues. Hopefully someone out there has already solved your problem. Older Intel GPUs have never been easy to work with.

Please Read Me

Comment

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/

Please Read Me

Comment

Well you can just reinstall all the mesa and intel mesa packages if you feel that might help. Furthermore, what KDE version are you running? I remember 12.10 being quite crappy until I upgraded to KDE 4.10.

Comment

oshunluvr: Thanks. I tried to download the intel-gpu-tools from the site you gave. When I run ./configure it complains about not being able to find pkg_config script.

Any ideas where that can be found?

bob

Comment

dmeyer: I am running KDE 4.10.2

bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobicanprogram View Post
                            dmeyer: I am running KDE 4.10.2

bob
                            Damn!!! Look, you do could just try disabling composting unless its an important component of your KDE experience. I think it comes down to old crappy Intel Graphics messing with your system. Still, switch QT to raster and disable composting and you should all your problems should disappear. See if that helps.

Comment

dmeyer: I turned off "Enable desktop effects on startup". Reboot. Still have GPU errors in dmesg. Still have intermittent "hung" performance. Still have kmail taking 2-3 tries before it comes up.

Nuts. Any other thoughts? Still can't get ./configure to work so that I can compile the intel-gpu-tools. That tool is supposed to extract info from the GPU error log which might be helpful.

Are there any experimental ppa driver repositories that I should consider?

Any idea how to kill the Akonadi errors in the .xsession-errors log?

bob

Comment

Working...
                              X