X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login screen does not show up

Hi,

After upgrading from Kubuntu 12.04 to Kubuntu 12.10, the login screen does not show up. When I try the recovery mode, I get the following info "Starting web server apache2 <fail>".
    My idea would be to remove "apache2" and reinstall it again, but the recovery mode is read-only. How can I get to the command prompt in order to install apache package, i.e. to reboot from the command line? (I am not fluent in linux). Or is there any other way to fix the problem?Thanks.

Boot into recovery mode, then select the "fsck" (disk check) option. This will run the disk check then offer you the recovery menu a second time. This time select "Drop to a root shell" and you will be dropped to the terminal as root user and the filesystem will be read-write.

As far as your problem, I didn't think Apache failing would be enough to prevent the system from starting. If removing Apache doesn't fix what's wrong, you might review your boot and system logs.

Please Read Me

Comment

I give more info in the following post.

Comment

@oshunluvr:
        It seems the issue is bigger than I thought. Trying "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal (as root) does not work (Could not resolve 'ubuntu.mirriors.skynet.be')

When exiting the terminal, here is some info I see (at random):

initctl: Event failed
        apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using ::1 for ServerName
        Unable to open logs
        Action 'start' failed
        The apache error log may have more information.
        *Starting web server apache2 [fail]

My question is: how to fix this mess, i.e. to be able to log in? I am new to linux ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X