Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

deleting the contents of /home/oznola/.Private deleted the contents of /home/oznola..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleting the contents of /home/oznola/.Private deleted the contents of /home/oznola..

hi,

i just deleted the contents of /home/oznola/.Private with /home/oznola/.Private/rm -r *

EDIT: i issued rm -r * from the command line in /home/oznola/.Private then i selected a .asc file in Documents and hit Ctrl-x then i changed to another tab open in Dolphin that was pointing at /home/oznola/.Private and hit Ctrl-v... then it seemed that everything in /home/oznola disappeared except come weird encrypted file and the .asc that i was moving.

it seems to have deleted almost everything in /home/oznola !!!

please advise.

thank you...
    Last edited by oznola; Feb 25, 2013, 02:53 PM.
    “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
    Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
    STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

.Private contains the encrypted contents of your home directory... so you effectively rmed your home dir.

Comment

okay...

so is there anyway to undo that?

EDIT: or otherwise proceed?

thank you..
      Last edited by oznola; Feb 25, 2013, 03:06 PM.
      “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

Adding the "-r" made the command recursive and includes directories. If you had added "sudo" to it, likely most all files on your system would have been deleted as well. Unfortunately, "*" includes ".." which equals "up one directory."

Hindsight: rm -r /home/oznola/.Private/ would have been safer as would have using Dolphin. I add a "Hidden Files" button to my Dolphin toolbar to make finding hidden directories easier but you can manually type a "." in the URL bar too.

Good news is, it's more than likely your files are still there but DON'T WRITE ANY FILES TO YOUR HARD DRIVE if you want to attempt recovery. I have a commercial file recovery tool, but exundelete might work for you if you're using ext4.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry, just read James post and I don't do encryption so my thoughts might have been off-base.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Adding the "-r" made the command recursive and includes directories. If you had added "sudo" to it, likely most all files on your system would have been deleted as well. Unfortunately, "*" includes ".." which equals "up one directory."

Hindsight: rm -r /home/oznola/.Private/ would have been safer as would have using Dolphin. I add a "Hidden Files" button to my Dolphin toolbar to make finding hidden directories easier but you can manually type a "." in the URL bar too.

Good news is, it's more than likely your files are still there but DON'T WRITE ANY FILES TO YOUR HARD DRIVE if you want to attempt recovery. I have a commercial file recovery tool, but exundelete might work for you if you're using ext4.
            thank you. i have not done anything since the Ctrl-v as i discussed in EDIT of the first post. otherwise i am not planing to touch the machine again until i have a clear plan. eg. keep it running as-is and so-forth...

EDIT:

i am looking at these...

http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/extundelete/

please advise.
            Last edited by oznola; Feb 25, 2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

You'll have to wait for advice from someone who's used these programs. I have a licensed version of UFS File Explorer I use for this sort of repair and I stopped using ext4 a long time ago.

Please Read Me

Comment

In the way of advice - if the missing data is important enough: Get a USB drive. Use a different computer to create a LiveUSB with persistence and boot to it and install extundelete on it - not your computer with deleted data. Then boot to the LiveUSB with the target computer and attempt recovery. I wouldn't even boot to the install that you deleted the data from unless you're ready to let go of what you've deleted.

Please Read Me

Comment

thank you oshunluvr,

i am wondering if it's that big of a deal. recently i have been trying to keep as little in there as i can to conserve disk space. my netbook only has 30Gb ssd. it was running at about 15Gb as it was. i was trying to rm anything that seemed unnecessary. the only thing i feel was important was the file i was trying to hide in /home/oznola/.Private which was my OpenPGP key.
                  Last edited by oznola; Feb 25, 2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

not sure how to make a bootable image from a stand alone program. seems like it would need a minimal operating system to support it...

Comment

which is one of the two files still there.
                      Typical, huh? This might be a good time to test the undelete tools available to you just in case you end up here again...

Please Read Me

Comment

extundelete is available as a .deb package.

i am wondering if i should just install it on the netbook (the one i deleted the stuff on) and just try to use it.

Comment

You'll probably be OK. It really depends on the potential data you'll lose. If it's not going to cost you money or make you cry - go for it.

Please Read Me

Comment

This is a good time to point out that having a separate /home partition would prevent the unintentional over-writing of data in this case.

Installing a .deb package to the system would not normal add anything to your home partition.

Please Read Me

Comment

i am reading the docs for extundelete and it says it's designed to be used on an unmounted partition and then restore the files from the unmounted partition to the one that is mounted. and that one must work quickly because processes read and write files all the time..

i am wondering if perhaps i can just some how recreate my home directory and start over without re-installing the entire system?

Comment

Working...
                              X