X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Larger than monitor dimensions

Greetings,

I recently purchased an IPS235 by LG. I have a new video card as well an EVGA GTX560Ti. When I try to use the 1920x1080, the desktop as well as the panel won' scale to the monitor dimensions. When I change the resolution back to 1680x1050 all returns all scaling returns to normal. What steps can I take to resove this problem?

Please advise

Couch_Potato
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001 nVidia driver version 304.43
    Kubuntu 12.10
    kernel: 3.5.0-23-generic

Please tell us what driver is installed and what tool you have used to set up the monitor.

Comment

Couch_Potato,

leave your resolution normal.

try cycling through the hardware display options likely on top row of your keyboard.

this has been the solution to similar issues i have faced.

usually its a <color-shift><digit> combo. (like a blue-shift+7?)

hold down the color shift key and tap the digit until the displays are good.

this solution has worked for me across many operating systems being used as video source.
      Last edited by oznola; Jan 05, 2013, 02:52 PM.
      “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
      Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
      STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

First off thanks for your replies. Below is a screen shot of nvidia-settings main window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 01062013 - 12:20:38 AM_nvidia-settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	640210

As for setting up the monitor, I didn't use any 'tool' to setup the monitor. It was just recognized by my system.

Best Regards,

The Couch_Potato
        Last edited by Couch_Potato; Jan 05, 2013, 11:26 PM. Reason: closing added
        M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001 nVidia driver version 304.43
        Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

Oznola,

Thanks for the tip. I did take a look at changing the aspect ratio of the screen from the menu. The two settings are original and regular. I changed the 1680x1050 to original and the screen narrowed leaving black space on either side of the screen. So then I changed the resolution again to 1920x1080 and the same thing ocurred the desktop expanded beyond the dimensions of the screen. So I went in to the menu and attempted to change the ratio again but it was darkened as in not configurable. So I'll keep looking from here.

Thanks again

The Couch_Potato.
          Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

As for the key combos used to cycle through difference screen resolutions, there is no 'color' key, but I do recall vaguely that it certainly is/was possible, but I don't recall the keys in quesiton. time for google again:-)
            Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

how have you connected the computer to the tv?

i have made this connection often with a make-shift vga cable and a 3mm stereo plug (male on both ends). i have not made this connection with hdmi on a machine run by kubuntu but many times with ubuntu and i have reason to believe it's just the same as vga.

where no change is made to the software device controllers. only the hardware video mode gets selected as appropriate available through a "shift" key that is usually on the top or second from the top row of the keyboard. often it has an tiny icon that looks like a little computer adjacent to a tv-screen like box. or sometimes i think it just looks like a little tv screen.

EDIT: i think its the Fn key that shifts the meta key which controls the video output mode.

i never worked with nvida graphics but you might consider

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
              EDIT: i see you have nvidia-settings installed already.

then launch nvida-settings and try to correct the computers display (without the tv attached).

after you are satisfied with the display on the computer, connect the compters video port to the tv then look for the hardware video mode key and cycle through as i described before.
              Last edited by oznola; Jan 06, 2013, 02:15 AM.
              “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

another possibility is to run this in a terminal,,

sudo nvidia-xconfig
                then restart x...

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
                then look for the video mode meta key.

this might turn the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by oznola View Post
                  sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
                  Kubuntu used kdm in the older versions and lightdm in the newer versions.

Comment

james147, thank you for the heads up on the various display managers.

so it should be,,,
                    • configure x to your hardware,,,
                      sudo nvidia-xconfig

• restart the computer display,,,
                      sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

• connect your computer's video-out to the LG IPS235 pc video-in. if required connect the computer's audio-out to the tv's audio-in.

• switch the LG IPS235 video source to the port containing the video plug from your computer. perhaps this switch is accessed by viewing the tv's on screen display while using the remote control?

• locate the video-out hardware meta-key on the computer keyboard and cycle through the modes until the display on the tv looks the best.
                    Last edited by oznola; Jan 06, 2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I suspect your xorg.conf is using "auto" instead of a particular setting. That seems to be the default these days. Also, frequently monitors and more often TVs have poorly configured EDID.

I suggest the following:

1. In a terminal, run xrandr -q and post the results.
                      2. Open the "Go Advanced" menu in the lower right of the Reply window and attach a copy of your xorg.conf.

I suspect we'll find 1920x1080 isn't available and your metamodes will look like this:

Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

We need to get 1920x1080 available and then force it via xorg.conf. Let me know what you find out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry to leave this thread 'hanging', but I solved this issue using the monitor's controls. Suffice it to say I changed the mode to hdmi and wahla. brrrrfffft! ugh but it now works as I wish it. Thanks again all.
                        Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

good to hear Couch_Potato,

i recently learned this evening that if your machine does not have the display mode meta-key like my laptops one can press and hold the Windows key and tap the "P" key to cycle through the available modes.

Comment

Working...
                          X