This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few nagging problems

Having succesfully installed Ubuntu and Kubuntu 12.10 and Kubuntu 12.04 and given each a run through, I am in general satisfied enough to keep using these OS as my default systems. In particular, internet articulation is much easier than before--I have had no need to change programs to handle wireless connections, for example. However, there are a few nagging problems that may or may not be associated with the internet connection.
    --When I used the usb to install the OS, I was informed my computer was not connected to internet, when in fact it was. This meant that I could not download updates while downloading the OS--not a serious problem, as I immediately downloaded the updates afterwards on my 'unconnected' computer.
    --I've given up trying to install the microsoft fonts, as the program simply will not download them. I uninstalled the installer, but I still get this irritating little light bulb indicating that msfonts installer could not be downloaded.
    --No information is provided on updates (can't download them) or on some software, such as ratings on games.
    --Firefox has difficulties connecting to Yahoo.com. On the other hand, the Flash problem seems to have been fixed, at least on Kubuntu.

Otherwise, I'm happy with Kubuntu and will continue to use it as long as it continues to be a stable, easy-to-use operating system.

--I've given up trying to install the microsoft fonts, as the program simply will not download them. I uninstalled the installer, but I still get this irritating little light bulb indicating that msfonts installer could not be downloaded.
    I believe the problem here is the EULA that has to be accepted. Try installing them again using the command line;

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts

but I'm typing this from memory, so I may be off on the packname.

Please Read Me

Comment

You need the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package:

Code:
      don@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-cache policy ttf-mscorefonts-installer
        Installed: (none)
        Candidate: 3.4ubuntu3
        Version table:
           3.4ubuntu3 0
              500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/multiverse amd64 Packages
      don@ubuntu:~$

Comment

lets not forget to watch the installation in the terminal for when to except the EULA ,,,,, you press the tab key to except and then enter to continue

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This is why I still use Synaptic and enable 'apply changes in terminal window'. The Synaptic terminal window needs to have the focus (just like any other normal terminal window) before you can navigate in that window with the keyboard, the only thing I don't say yes to is installing new versions of settings files (.rc).

Comment

HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

1) http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...mentation-help

About

No information is provided on updates (can't download them) or on some software, such as ratings on games.
            Tell a bit more - what is the problem ?
            (can't download them)
            How you are trying to ?
            Is there an error message ?

The Kubuntu package management (apt) is trying to get the update information if it is possible.

1) Is the information check enabled ?

Muon package management: Settings > Configure Software sources
            or direct:
            Code:
            kdesudo software-properties-kde

2) The nag is enabled (Muon Package Manager) ?

There are many kind of the (Muon) package apps.

The Muon Discover can show the program overview and the user review etc...

Muon developer blog: http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/
            Last edited by OneLine; Jan 04, 2013, 07:24 AM.
            Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

@OneLine...yikes, I don't 'do' pre-released or unsupported updates, just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                @OneLine...yikes, I don't 'do' pre-released or unsupported updates, just sayin.
                scaredy cat ,,,,,,, :-P

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  scaredy cat ,,,,,,, :-P

VINNY
                  Meh, I just prefer not to risk borking a perfectly running system, or the headache of reversing problems.

Comment

But it's sooo much fun to rack your brain when something has broken
                    On a separate 'testing' partition :cool:
                    That's why I keep a 12.04 install, it's never hardly ever used but just a reboot away.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      lets not forget to watch the installation in the terminal for when to except the EULA ,,,,, you press the tab key to except and then enter to continue

VINNY
                      I've tried all the suggestions before with no positive result. I've decided to get used to the fonts provided--there are some nice ones--and let the word processor decide what font to change it to when I have to convert to .docx format. So I'm happy to sever this last linux tie to microsoft.
                      What I would like to know is how to shut off the process of trying to load the fonts installer every time the machine boots up or after an update. It will never download the installer, and uninstalling it (using Muon package manager) doesn't get rid of it either. I'm already sick of the little light bulb!

Comment

Working...
                      X