Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set up for remote login from Windows to Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set up for remote login from Windows to Kubuntu?

I already have set up my Kubuntu 12.10 as a web-page server with apache.

Now I would like to be able to log on from my wife's Windows 7 machine. (Just can't undersstand why she refuses to learn Kubuntu?...) I vaguely remember from my days on AIX that this goes thru an inetd daemon and there is none running on my machine. Google has led me to something called VNC, but that sounds unnecessarily complicated. There is a page about this at

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_..._Remote_Access

but it seems to be out of date.

Could someone please point me in the right direction, i.e., tell me what I should install. TIA.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

What do you mean by "Log on?"

Do you mean logging into Apache? Opening a terminal window? You already said you're not looking for a remote desktop. Please describe what it is you're wanting to do.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry, I thought log on was adequate. I want to do at least an ssh (or telnet, if that's not a security pb on our local ethernet, hidden away behind our modem-router)from windows to kubuntu so I can manipulate files with command-line operations. Getting X11 to work would be nice, but not essential.

I just mentioned I had installed and configured apache. I know it is not for what I want to do. For that I will need inetd or the equivalent, but I have forgotten how to configure that. I do not need a whole lot of remote logon ports; 2 would be fine.

Hope this is clearer.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Well, I think inetd is the server daemon for telnet and other unix network services. I don't think you need that for simple ssh.

If you just want ssh, install the ssh server package and log in. On the windows side you'll need something like putty or kitty. The default ssh port is 22. Security is simple enough if you're already behind a router. Just change the default port and only allow local IP addresses. I also use a secure key so I don't have to enter my username and password every time. I don't know why you would need more than one port for ssh.

If you need help configuring, post back and I'll respond when I'm at home (on my linux machine).

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X