Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Created a shared folder with dolphin but can't open it ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Created a shared folder with dolphin but can't open it ...

Hi there!

I created a shared folder with Dolphin (KDE 4.10) on Kubuntu 12.10. This seems to work as it shows me the folder as being a shared one by the little folder symbol. I used the settings "full control" for the users "everyone" and "piedro" (myself).

Now when I open this very folder with the dolphin network browser for samba shares I find my machine and the folder. But when I try to open the folder Dolphin asks for authorization. I out in my user credentials ("piedro" and my password) but it will not open - insiting on me using wrong credentials and blocking the access!

I think that is really annoying because I created this share within my home folder with Dolphin and now I can't open it with Dolphin by using my own username?

plz help,
    thx for reading,
    piedro

So you're trying to open a local folder using samba?

Please Read Me

Comment

I created a folder and shared it via the dolphin interface. After realizing that I can see this folder from another computer but not open it (though I used my user credentials to connect) I used the dolphin network browser to navigate to the folder via samba and try to open it from here to test whther a linux samba client can open the samba shared folder created by the very same user ...

so: yes!

Comment

I'm no samba expert (but I use it). I don't think that will work and I don't think it's a very good test of sambas access. Samba is intended to allow file and printer access from windows machines. Even if it did work the way you're trying, it wouldn't test much. It would be like pinging yourself. What does that prove?

If you're trying to open the folder from another computer and failing, you should be addressing your samba configuration.

Please Read Me

Comment

I think you completely miss my point.

Dolphin has the feature to quickly share folders. That's what I used. Technically it's a samba share but that doesn't matter here. There shouldn't be any necessary additional setups or configurations as far as I know. This shared folder shows in any network browser (be it windows, linux, mac ...) but can't be accessed though I configured the access rights within the dolphin "share folder" dialog!

Btw: Any computer is able to open it's own shares via network browser - plz explain why this shouldn't work ...

my question is still: What is it that I miss by using dolphins "share folder" funcionality and which (if there are any) additional steps are necessary to use it as intended. At least which are the correct steps for effective troubleshooting?

thx, p.

plz help to solve this

Comment

Working...
          X