Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

botched mount point side-effects are undesirable...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

botched mount point side-effects are undesirable...

hi,

i am trying to setup nfs between my kubuntu client and a debian server.

i was following the tutorial here but it did not tell me how to create the mount point.

subsequently i have created a strange mount point that that now seems to be causing the regular kde to be loading as the desktop instead of the old plasma netbook that i prefer.

here is a picture of the desktop showing the weird mount point. it is highlighed in dolphin.

how can i remove this mount point?

hopefully that will restore my regular desktop.

thank you.
    “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
    Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
    STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

I can't get the picture to work, but I've never heard of any mount points re-configuring the desktop so I doubt that's it.

I am also unclear on what the problem with creating a mount point is: you create a folder and mount to it.

Is the trouble you are having actually how to mount an NFS share, not how to create a mount point?

The mount command is the same as any other mount, just using type nfs instead of another filesystem.

Without more specific details about what changes you made, it will be difficult to determine what needs to be fixed.

Please Read Me

Comment

hear is a bit better guide NFSHowTo « Little Girl's Mostly Linux Blog
      now portmap has been replaced by rpcbind so use that wherever it cals for portmap ,,,,,,+ tell what @oshunluvr asked.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

AFAIK, some of that info is off a bit due to we are now (since 12.04) at NFSv4 and the mounting can be slightly different depending on the way you export.

Either way, we don't have enough info at this point.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Either way, we don't have enough info at this point.
          true that,,,,,,,,,,I can be a bit over zealous in my wish to help at times ,,,,,,,,and I guess it HAS been a wile since I set one up

sory
          VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

can anyone see the picture showing the mount point?

i can only see it in dolphin which gives not option to delete it. i cannot see it using ls -al either.

EDIT: it's actually a device node.
            Last edited by oznola; Feb 04, 2013, 06:21 PM.
            “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

i think you can see the picture now. it was not set to public view.

here is a link to the picture again.
              Last edited by oznola; Feb 04, 2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

yup can see it now

do you have it (the mount)in fstab if so post the line ,,,,

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

oh yes!!

here is the entire contents of /etc/fstab

Code:
                  # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                  #
                  # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
                  # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
                  # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                  #
                  # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
                  /dev/mapper/kubuntu-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
                  # /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
                  UUID=e218a0d4-97d8-4abe-bed3-5344ed533da0 /boot           ext2    defaults        0       2
                  /dev/mapper/kubuntu-swap_1 none            swap    sw              0       0
                  /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 none swap sw 0 0
                  192.168.10.1:/home/storage /home/alonzo/WewelsburgStorage nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

my guess is i just remove that line.
                  Last edited by oznola; Feb 04, 2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

no you do not half to remove it try just adding user (that is just the word "user" )right after rw wile I look up somthing

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

okay,

now it looks like this...

Code:
                      192.168.10.1:/home/storage /home/alonzo/WewelsburgStorage nfs rw user,hard,intr 0 0
                      also i had deleted home /alonzo/WewelsburgStorage from home/alonzo...

Comment

well the mount point and the share must bothe exist ,,,, so @192.168.10.1:/home/storage should be the path to the share and /home/alonzo/WewelsburgStorage must be present to mount the share to ...........you may want to add "nobootwait" to the fstab line if the share is not always on line .
                        16GB RAM

Comment

okay..
                          so here is what i got..

Code:
                          192.168.10.1:/home/storage /home/alonzo/WewelsburgStorage nfs rw user,hard,intr 0 0 nobootwait
                          plus i added /home/alonzo/WewelsburgStorage back to my home directory.

and with that am i ready to reboot?

Comment

no the nobootwait must be behind the 2 0 0 's ,,,, then if you have the share exported right as per the guides and your hosts.allow right then you may be ready

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

okay,

i reboot and it seems i can change to that directory on the server now but i cannot see anything there.

my guess is it's got something to do with permissions there?

do i have to change the permissions there on the server?

EDIT: i got it change the position of nobootwait. then look into the other stuff.
                              Last edited by oznola; Feb 04, 2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X