This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.1 Cannot kill X to install latest NVidia Driver

I've killed X plenty of time before... but, it is becoming more and more difficult all the time...
    This time I'm finding it impossible...

I've gone into the keyboard shortcuts and re-enabled the ctrl-alt-backspace keys...
    1. When I press ctrl-alt-backspace it goes to a black screen and quickly goes to the kde login screen...
    2. After it sends me to the kde login screen, I press ctrl-alt-F1 and go to the first terminal...
    3. I type sudo stop kdm and the screen blinks black and immediately takes me back to the kde login screen...
    4. I've also tried sudo service kdm stop and it says no such service...
    I want to get to the x light version of the console so that I can install the latest NVidia driver for my card...
    Does anyone know how to do this on the latest version of Kubuntu
    I will appreciate any constructive help that is offered...

You should be able to stop KDM with sudo service kdm stop

There's another topic which might be helpful for you here: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-NVIDIA-driver
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Im pretty sure the command in #3 should be sudo service kdm stop

Comment

Isn't it lightdm in 12.10?

- Switch to the console (Ctl-Alt-F1)
        - login
        - sudo service lightdm stop
        - install nvidia
        - reboot.

However is there any reason you can't use the nvidia driver from the repositories? no need to stop anything then.

- sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
        - reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
          Oohh....good catch. Yeah lightdm from 12.10.

Comment

However is there any reason you can't use the nvidia driver from the repositories? no need to stop anything then.
            - reboot.
            Thanks... I'll try that lightdm...
            Just in case anyone is wondering what lightDM is... here is a clip...
            LightDM is a cross-desktop display manager that aims is to be the standard display manager for the X.org X server. The motivation for this project is there have been many new display managers written since XDM (often based on the XDM source). The main difference between these projects is in the GUIs (e.g. different toolkits) and performance - this could be better accomplished with a common display manager that allows these differences.

Key features are:
            •A well-defined greeter API allowing multiple GUIs
            •Support for all display manager use cases, with plugins where appropriate
            •Low code complexity
            •Fast performance

*Credits: Taken from http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LightDM

I want to use the beta drivers...
            Last edited by danix803; Mar 28, 2013, 10:12 PM. Reason: Added information

Comment

- Switch to the console (Ctl-Alt-F1)
              - login
              - sudo service lightdm stop
              - install nvidia
              - reboot.
              - reboot.
              I tried lightdm and it appeared to work (at least, it didn't take me immediately to the login screen)...
              However, after I d/l'd the latest NVidia driver and made it executable (chmod +x)... and ran it, I got an error...
              1. The first error, which is actually normal, the startup scripts not working (always happens) - just ignore it and keep going...
              2. ERROR - Nouveau kernal driver is currently in use. Incompatible. Must be disabled before proceeding... the installer offered to build a file and put it into the modprobe folder to disable it... However, after doing that it said that it failed... So, now I've got to figure out how to disable the Nouveau kernal driver... This is gettin' to be much more difficult that it's worth...
              But, if anyone wants to offer more constructive advice, I'll keep after it...
              Thanks again for the help... :-)

Comment

Why not install / activate the regular Nvidia proprietary driver from Jockey first (which will replace the Nouveau driver), then follow the procedure for installing the newer Nvidia driver?

I'm guessing here, but logic suggests that should get you past the hurdle you've encountered.
                Last edited by HalationEffect; Mar 29, 2013, 07:38 PM.
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                X