This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing NVIDIA driver

I've been having problems installing a NVIDIA driver on my system. My system is a Dell Inspiron 531 with the standard onboard video card; GeForce 6150. I downloaded the "preferred" driver file (NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-8174-pkg1.run), according to Dell, but I can't seem to install it. I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 32 bit and the instructions for the download are to run sh "filename" as root. When I do this I get a message that it can't install, because I'm running X server and I need to exit X before I can install the driver. I've looked around on the net and get a lot of conflicting instructions. None of the ones I've tried seem to do anything except exit me from my desktop environment, leaving me no way, at my skill level, of accessing the file I need. Is there any way to install this from my desktop environment or am I going to have to Alt+Ctrl+F1, then cd myself to the right directory to install this?

Thanx,
    capt-zero

I hate replying to my own thread, but I went ahead and studied up on the 'cd' command, ran ctrl+alt+F1, cd'd into my Downloads directory, and ran sh "filename". Same problem. I'm still getting the error stating that I'm running Xserver and need to exit X before I can install the file. Does anyone out there in Kubuntuland know how to exit X while running 12.04?

Thanx,
    capt-zero

Comment

Try this - after you've done CTRL+ALT+F1 and logged in on that session, but before you do anything else, enter this command:

Code:
      /etc/init.d/kdm stop
      It might need root privileges (I'm not 100% sure), if it does then add 'sudo ' to the beginning of the command, like so:

Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
      That should stop the X server. (You can restart the X server by entering 'startx')

After executing that, cd to the directory with the Nvidia driver, and try to run the installer. Assuming that it works, you'll probably want to reboot the machine afterwards; you can do that with the 'reboot' command.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

HalationEffect,

Tried your suggestion, but basically got the same result. This time though, the error did say that instalation failed because either I was running Xserver or that I already have installed this driver. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Have been working on this for 3 weeks now. It's frustrating to have a 3d capable machine (supposedly), but not to be able to access it. I've tried the neuvoux(?) drivers, and every driver of NVIDIA's I can find. The same thing happens; when I activate the driver the machine slows down so much as to become unusable. Oh well, even in 2d mode I love Kubuntu. Thanks for your suggestion anyway, I apreciate it.

capt-zero

Comment

Not to argue, but when I go the to nVidia drivers page, I find version 295.59 (the very latest stable release) supports the GeForce 6150. I would trust nVidia over Dell on this, especially since Dell is recommending a driver that's at least 4-5 years old. It's very likely that Dell hasn't bothered to update their page on your product.

Version 295.40 is available in the repos and works fine for most people (there is a small bug that few people report, I never had any issues with it.), It certainly is easier to use the repos to install the drivers. If it were me, I'd dump to the TTY (alt-F1), kill kdm with sudo service kdm stop, uninstall the driver with sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8174-pkg1.run --uninstall, restart kdm with sudo service kdm start and then install the nvidia-current package and use Jockey to activate it.

Which ever driver you're trying to use, you must have dkms and the kernel headers installed as well.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr,

I assume you mean alt-f2 for the TTY, alt-f1 just gives me the kde launcher. Not sure what you mean about using 'Jockey' to activate nvidia-current. What is 'Jockey'?

thanx,
            capt-zero

Comment

Jockey is a driver activator that lets you install the driver while still using the GUI. If it's not in your menu under System> Additional Drivers install the jockey-common and jockey-kde packages.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also - TTY's should be available from ALT-F1 to ALT-F6. It doesn't matter which one you use so if ALT-F1 is already in use then use another. ALT-F7 is usually the GUI and/or sometimes ALT-F8.

What's the "kde launcher" you're seeing? Just curious...

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr. The launcher is the "start" button on the lower left of your default screen. At least on my system, alt-f1 just opens that. Will the commands you suggested also work in the konsole? When I go to jockey (never knew that was it's name), it tells me that nvidia-current is already in use and activated. My problem is when i switch from x-render to opengl in my systems menu, my OS becomes so slow that I can't even confirm the change before that dialog times out and reverts back to xrender. I knew about the problem with 295.40 and tried 295.59 with the same result. I've also tried some outdated drivers as my computer is not new. However, every driver I've tried gives the same or worse results. I'm presently operating in xrender as this is the only setting that seems to function.

Comment

If you've installed the driver from the repo, you can't install any driver from nVidia - they conflict.

As far as your slowness - you may try turning off some of the kwin effects. Many people have reported excessive slowness with some things like Blur and Slide.

I wouldn't install anything else until I've confirmed what is actually in use and installed.

Do these is a console:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep 'X Driver'
                    dpkg -l |grep nvidia
                    glxinfo |grep direct

You may have to install mesa-utils for the last one. Report your results. I'm headed out the door, but I'll be back in an hour or so.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Also - TTY's should be available from ALT-F1 to ALT-F6. It doesn't matter which one you use so if ALT-F1 is already in use then use another. ALT-F7 is usually the GUI and/or sometimes ALT-F8.

What's the "kde launcher" you're seeing? Just curious...
                      I think there's some confusion being caused here by your omission of the CTRL button. ALT + F1 without the CTRL does the same thing as clicking on the Kickoff launcher button in the panel.

TTYs are available with CTRL + ALT + F(1 to 6).
                      sigpic
                      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                        I think there's some confusion being caused here by your omission of the CTRL button. ALT + F1 without the CTRL does the same thing as clicking on the Kickoff launcher button in the panel.

TTYs are available with CTRL + ALT + F(1 to 6).
                        Oh geeze - you're right...

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr,

Here are the outputs from the command lines you suggested:
                          for: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep 'X Driver'

26.569] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 295.40 Thu Apr 5 21:29:50 PDT 2012

for: dpkg -l |grep nvidia

i libkwinnvidiahack4 4:4.8.4a-0ubuntu0.1 library used by nvidia cards for the KDE window manager
                          rc nvidia-173 173.14.30-0ubuntu8.1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
                          ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.44 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
                          ii nvidia-current 295.40-0ubuntu1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
                          ii nvidia-settings 295.33-0ubuntu1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

for :glxinfo |grep direct

direct rendering: Yes
                          GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_EXT_direct_state_access,

As you can see I'm running 295.40 without realizing it. Not sure if it matters.

capt-zero

Comment

oshunluvr,

I also tried your suggestion of disabling some effects, such as blur and sliding, but it didn't seem to make any difference. When changing settings from xrender to opengl, the whole system slows down too much for me to even confirm changes made, before it reverts back to xrender.

Thanks,
                            capt-zero
                            Last edited by capt-zero; Jul 26, 2012, 05:38 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Likely, you're not going to get great performance with that older/slower card.

I believe there is an opengl bug with the 295.40 driver so the first thing I would do is upgrade it to the newest version or downgrade to 295.33 which didn't have the bug.

The next thing I would suggest is to add some options to your xorg.conf file to help out. If you don't have one, you'll have to create it. I'm at work so I don't have my xorg.conf handy. I'll post some options to try later.

Try a different driver first and see if it helps.

If you're really interested in best performance - look for a rather new post (it's stickied) by Steve Riley concerning how to add xorg-edgers and upgrade to the 305 series nvidia drivers. They work great for me. He includes instructions on how to revert to the older drivers if needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X