Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there no option to "Eject" a USB device rather than remove???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then why does Eject spit out a CD but not turn off the drive?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Then why does Eject spit out a CD but not turn off the drive?
      Because cd roms don't have to be powered off to eject the media, but they still power down the media in a way (turn off the motors so it is no longer spinning) doing this you then have to remove the tray and reinsert it to be able to use it again (but this happens automatically in most cases so you don't notice it). When a USB is told this it powers off so that it is safe to remove but there is no mechanical way to eject the device so you have to do that manually (imagines usb drives being ejected from the case and flung across the room automatically ).

Comment

I submit that they behave that way because they're programmed to. Thus, USB drives could be programmed differently.

I would love to be able to shoot a thumb drive across the room!

As a test I used eject from the command line after mounting it with dolphin. It is indeed no longer mountable, but the reader stays powered on.

Clearly, I want the three options: Eject, Unmount, and Remove but in this case the third option is not desired at all.

Please Read Me

Comment

So should I post a bug report against Device Notifier? It's not per-say a bug, but rather functionally deficient. I guess if I include the fact that using the Notifier turns off my USB card reader I could call it a bug.

I'm of the opinion that the real problem lies in the device description and that it reports itself as removable, or more correctly does not report itself as non-removable.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            So should I post a bug report against Device Notifier? It's not per-say a bug, but rather functionally deficient. I guess if I include the fact that using the Notifier turns off my USB card reader I could call it a bug.

I'm of the opinion that the real problem lies in the device description and that it reports itself as removable, or more correctly does not report itself as non-removable.
            It is a bug if a card reader is being de-powered and has to be unplugged and plugged back in again to get it to function again (and not just the card in the reader). It is not a bug (but intended behaviour) if a usb device is being powered down when the whole device is being removed.

You can always suggest a feature request to be able to unmount devices via the device notifier (I would suggest a long press or right click on the safely remove button) but I don't expect upstream to accept it unless it is not confusing or adds extra layers of complexity to the user.

Comment

I can get solid to offer an option to open partitionmanager, but it does not open with the particular volume in focus, it just opens the program normally, cannot find a switch to focus the volume.

Place this file in ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions/

Code:
              [Desktop Action open]
              Exec=kdesudo partitionmanager %i
              Icon=drive-removable-media-usb-pendrive
              Name=USB Format

[Desktop Entry]
              Actions=open;
              Type=Service
              X-KDE-Action-Custom=true
              X-KDE-Solid-Predicate=IS StorageAccess
              No need to reboot or log out to test, just insert a usb drive

Comment

it should be trivial to package Chakra's tool I linked to, but I will not be able to sit down till Tuesday, I have a few back to back shifts with just enough time for sleep in between.

Comment

What about Exec=kdesudo partitionmanager %f
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    What about Exec=kdesudo partitionmanager %f
                    didn't work for me

Comment

Working...
                    X