X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte Board Network Out

Hello,

My roommate purchased a Gigabyte board (GA-970A-D3) and I am having two issues with it. First all but two USB ports actually work. I have no idea why on that. But also and more importantly, the network isnt working. I am getting replies back on 127.0.0.1 but it wont get an IP address from my router. Other computers are and this is wired so I am at a loss. The only thought I had was to download and install the drivers for network again but I cant because it requires building like with GCC and stuff, which on a fresh install of Kubuntu isnt installed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

There's literally dozens of potential things to check/do before rebuilding drivers from scratch is anywhere near the "todo" list.

First of all: If some of the USB ports aren't working, you might have a bad motherboard or bios. Assuming it's the hardware, anytime more than one portion of a mobo isn't working, I don't suspect drivers first - I suspect the hardware. Update the bios if a newer version is available.

Secondly: We must assume your board has the Realtek 8111E ethernet port becuase you didn't say otherwise, but you should check to be sure because sometimes manufacturers change componants without notifing anyone. If it is the R8111E port, it should work just fine with the supplied drivers. One easy way to tell what ethernet port you have is to boot up and open a terminal then type lspci and look for the network devices(s). If none are listed, you can bet the mobo is bad.

Assuming the mobo isn't bad and the R8111E port is correct and you installed the OS from a good (checksum verified) download, then you can start looking at your network settings. 127.0.0.1 is "localhost" which means you'll always get a reply but that has nothing to do with your ethernet port.

Start by posting the output of the command "ifconfig" from a terminal. Then, look through your log files for messages relating to eth or realtek . The log files are in /var/log and start with syslog, bootlog, and dmesg.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X