This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gcbzzzz:

Sound works on my X202E with no problem, and even the volume is pretty decent for a little machine. I have not tried the mic, or HDMI out. Too busy just using the thing.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
      gcbzzzz:

Sound works on my X202E with no problem, and even the volume is pretty decent for a little machine. I have not tried the mic, or HDMI out. Too busy just using the thing.

Frank.

found the problem. this is my wife's box, and she hate unity, so i installed Mate-desktop instead of the old gnome2 or fallback...

It brought some packages that messed up sound big time! ...BIG time.

i spend some time now trying to identify what it was... but no luck. I can't even draw a line from alsa to OSS to pulse... let alone mess up with the internals for all that. just backed up (it was a recent install anyhow) and installed ubuntu from scratch (after wasting yet another couple hours remembering how to deal with uefi again).. and now everything seems fine.

...still pissed about not being able to fix that by simply removing the mate-desktop stuff. well, have to think of another shell now.

Comment

gcbzzzz:

found the problem. this is my wife's box, and she hate unity, so i installed Mate-desktop instead of the old gnome2 or fallback...
        This is the Kubuntu forum. Kubuntu works on the x202e just fine.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
          gcbzzzz:
          This is the Kubuntu forum. Kubuntu works on the x202e just fine.
          I thought the sound subsystem was the same... maybe not. well, it's working under gnome now fine as well. Mate-desktop was the culprit.

Also, does HDMI out (video+audio) works for you guys in kubuntu?

cheers!

Comment

gcbzzz:

I can now confirm that the HDMI out works as well -- for the display, at least. There is probably a way to direct the sound through the HDMI channel as well, but I didn't bother trying to figure it out. I've not tried the mic input either. I did confirm, however, that this machine has no built-in mic. I tried for a couple of days to get the mic to work with Skype, only to discover that this machine has no mic of its own. I did get it working with Skype using a Logitech UVC USB mic/camera combo.

My happiness with this little machine increases the more I use it. I don't use the touch screen, and probably never will. Touch screens work well for hand held devices, but the screen is at the wrong angle for touching in a laptop configuration. The keyboard 'gets in the way' and forces an awkward wrist position to touch the screen. I also hate all the smudges that get on the screen that way.

It would seems that MS is finding this out with Win8. Few, if any, want it on more traditional machines, which is what this machine is designed to be, and is what I went searching for when I bought.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
            X