This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is very good news...
    Have you tried a long press with your finger to see if a menu pops up?

I will post the result of installing on a Asus Zenbook Touch UX31A when I try it later this week.

Comment

I am very pleased to say that so far I have not encountered any issues with Kubuntu 12.10 and the Asus Zenbook Touch. Screen taps work and are responsive. USB ethernet works great. NO shutdowns, screen brightness works well. Key board types great.

All I did was turn off secure boot in the bios and then install Kubuntu 12.10 using the entire disk and erasing Win 8. I downloaded all the updates as well.
      So far so good ... I will report back to this group after I have played with it a few hours more.

ironmantis7x

Comment

ironmantis7x:

Good news! I'm glad that this is working out for you. A bit rich for my blood, as this 13" machine is double the price of my 11.6" X202E. However, this is why so many machines are on the market. Not everyone is looking for the same thing. A quick Google shows a fellow on XDA developers that is claiming a 3 sec boot. Cool.

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Frank, have you tried setting GRUB to "acpi_osi=" without the Linux part? I don't have your laptop model, but a Asus n56VZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
            ironmantis7x:

Good news! I'm glad that this is working out for you. A bit rich for my blood, as this 13" machine is double the price of my 11.6" X202E. However, this is why so many machines are on the market. Not everyone is looking for the same thing. A quick Google shows a fellow on XDA developers that is claiming a 3 sec boot. Cool.

Frank.
            Thanks Frank!!

I am very impressed with this laptop. Even my wife is jealous of it!! Much slimmer and sleeker than her small HP notebook and runs faster than her i7 with Windows 7!

Power so far has been a little more than 6 hours with average use and screen brightness at about 40% and key board back light about average.

ironmantis7x

Comment

mart1n:

I looked up that command. I didn't come across anything that would explain the failure to insert the "Linux" at the end. What should this accomplish, and what did it fix for you?

Frank.

Comment

The screen brightness buttons work, without it or with "linux" in it they don't (not even recognised by xev, for example)

Comment

Frank:

OK -- ran into my first issue -- the key board and screen brightness function keys do not work (although I can adjust the screen brightness through power management console)...
                  Not a really big issue for me at this time.

Small run down:
                  - wifi is rock solid -- no drops at all.
                  - screen is amazing and it responds to double taps on icons.
                  - boots in less than ten seconds
                  - device transfer from my 3.0 USB drive to my Zenbook Touch is fast (thanks to the two 3.0 USB ports).
                  - USB Ethernet works well on this machine as well.
                  - installing software is a snap as well with Muon or the command line.
                  - No lock up or anything on battery or AC power.
                  - Sound clarity is good too

Curious if the zenbook prime fixes will work for this laptop as well (from the ubuntu page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbookPrime)??

ironmantis7x

Comment

ironmantis7x:

Check out posts 1-3 in this thread for suggestions on screen brightness and keyboard selection.

Frank.

Comment

ironmantis7x:

Check out posts 1-3 in this thread for suggestions on screen brightness and keyboard selection.

Frank.
                      Frank -- thanks for that...
                      I tried switching the keyboard to Asus and the brightness controls for the keyboard and screen through the function keys still do not work.

ironmantis7x

Comment

ironmantis7x:

I tried switching the keyboard to Asus and the brightness controls for the keyboard and screen through the function keys still do not work.
                        Same here on my X202e. However, the sound controls now work. I have just use the xbacklight comands for brightness, having linked two icons I created in the system tray to two one-line batch files.

Frank.

Comment

Frank,

yes, the sound controls work and I can adjust the screen brightness through the power management in the system tray.
                          I also discovered that I can double tap on icons on the screen and also do drag and drop on the screen as well as long presses on the screen.

So far I like Kubuntu 12.10 Linux on the Asus Zenbook UX31a Touch screen!

ironmantis7x

Comment

No. Didn't even realize it was possible until you had me look there.

That did fix the volume hotkeys. Thanks very much!

However, this did not fix screen brightness. I can make do with the little batch files I have that call xbacklight, but enabling the brightness hotkeys would be super.

Frank.
                            Frank, thanks for the tip on the batch file. It was a real pain going into settings every time I need to turn down my brightness in class for a presentation. I hope there is a fix soon. I got my Q200 (equiv to your X202E, minus bluetooth) as a present from the wifey and had to deal with that mess of a secure boot to install. All works great minus those dang brightness keys.

Comment

Is sound working fine for you guys?

output works perfectly well for me (haven't tested HDMI yet, as I can't get video out there AT ALL)...

but speakers and headphone (including autodetection) works very well.

one thing that does not work most of the time is the Mic.

without Linux in acpi_os i can get it to work erradically. i.e. will work after boot, but not work after some time or some apps are opened.

it's not a mixer volume setting. i can garantee.

another oddity, most places only report one 'card', but 'aplay -l' reports 3.

here's my alsa-info output, if anyone is interested... or not, i can't post links to alsa site. this forum settings are dumb. :/

Comment

Originally posted by gcbzzzz View Post
                                here's my alsa-info output, if anyone is interested... or not, i can't post links to alsa site. this forum settings are dumb. :/
                                hehe.

Not 'dumb'; just 'protective'. After a few posts (you are a new member) the restriction will be lifted. This is simply one of our methods of protecting our forum.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X