Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I got nothing else at this point. I use VLC with "default" as the output and no problems.

Please Read Me

Comment

And you have a framebuffer installed? If so, which?
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

Pretty much a stock 12.04 except for he xorg edgers ppa

Please Read Me

Comment

Right, I've disabled efifb and got uvesafb working instead. Things are looking up.

VLC in default mode still sucks donkey BADLY, but smplayer in gl(fast) appears to be working.

gtkperf is now running in about 7.11 or something.

I suspect efifb is not doing anyone any favours.
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

You can try mplayer2 backend for smplayer. It is much faster than mplayer. And also you can try gl output.
            Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

And if you upgraded your system from 12.04 to 12.10 try everything with new user.
              Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

I did upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10b2, but only installed smplayer/mplayer2 after the upgrade.

I will try a new user.
                --
                Intocabile

Comment

Interestingly, with a new user account I managed to get smplayer to output nicely using xv ... once I had turned off all desktop effects.

I am beginning to wonder if my graphics card is too new for the drivers to work properly. I never had these problems with the nv 450.

Are those my options then? To have a desktop that looks nice OR be able to watch videos on it?

Booo, hisss.
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

+1 boo-hiss.

All I can advise is:
                    1. Go to nvidia forums and get advice on the best setup options.
                    2. Launch your video player with a script that turns effects off and then back on again when killed.
                    3. Wait for the update.

Patience my child and all will be revealed...

Please Read Me

Comment

I have a new SSD arriving, will make a fresh install on it - and I'm thinking of trying vanilla ubuntu with gnome shell on it. I've been using kubuntu for a few years now, time to try something new.

Then I will know if it's KDE or nvidia maybe?
                      --
                      Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
                        I have a new SSD arriving, will make a fresh install on it - and I'm thinking of trying vanilla ubuntu with gnome shell on it.
                        You have two choices. You can try the GNOME Remix. It's a complete distro, but they've held a few packages back from the latest and greatest. My preference would be to perform a plain-vanilla command-line install, then add the GNOME3 PPA and build up from there, starting with gnome-shell and gnome-core in a single apt-get. This will include GDM, X, Synaptic, a minimal set of applications -- and no Unity. After that, knock yerself out.

Oh, and for your SSD, add the boot option noop to the kernel boot parameters in GRUB. If you're going all SSD, there's no reason to use the default deadline I/O scheduler, since access speed of an SSD is uniform across all sectors. Add the discard parameter to any EXT2/3/4 partitions in fstab, and also each partition's superblock:
                        Code:
                        sudo tune2fs -o discard /dev/sd[i]XN[/i]
                        Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 20, 2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I was thinking vanilla Ubuntu, install Gnome3 from Unity, boot into Gnome and kill Unity. Your idea has its merits for sure. I've never done a CLI install of Ubuntu before. FreeBSD a million times yes, but never Ubuntu that way.

I looked at Gnome Remix and was briefly interested, but it passed.

I will be keeping a 1TB spinning iron for data and stuff.
                          --
                          Intocabile

Comment

With the demise of the alternate install ISO, you'll have to use the server ISO for a command-line install. After it finishes but before you add GNOME, run sudo tasksel remove server to delete the server-related stuff. Also remove the linux-server and linux-headers-server packages.

Since you'll have a spinning drive, don't change the I/O scheduler. But do configure the discard parameter for each of the partitions on your SSD -- this activates the TRIM wear-leveling mechanism.
                            Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 20, 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X