Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin why no Downloads, Documents, Music etc in places side?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin why no Downloads, Documents, Music etc in places side?

Okay so I am wandering why Kubuntu doesn't include the Documents, Downloads etc folders from the Home folder in the side panel?

It has a Home location. You can right click in the Places panel and create whatever locations you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

I know it has a Home location.

My question was why aren't the other listed? It used to be there in previous versions of Kubuntu and it's there in Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora etc.

Why did Kubuntu remove it/not add it?

Comment

This isn't the developers forum. You'd have to ask them. In the mean time, it won't take you more than a few seconds to add them.

Please Read Me

Comment

Where exactly would I directly ask developers question then if I shouldn't ask them here?

I thought that was the point of this forum as well? To ask questions and see if anyone knows, or is this forum pointless really?

Edit > I don't mean to sound confrontational (I'm not for the record).
          Last edited by liamdawe; Oct 15, 2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

AFAIK none of the developers regularly visit this site (except the developer of Muon). This is a Users forum. The point of it is to allow users to share solutions to problems but guessing (as I would be doing) why a developer did this or that would not really be of much help to anyone.

My initial response to your OP was to offer a solution to the issue of not having the Documents, etc. locations available - but of course I cannot speak to why the developers changed this or do it this way. I rather agree with, you but I always just adjust my Places panel to my liking which includes connections to my server and the other comupters on my network.

You can begin your communcation with the KDE team here: http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/development

See the second paragraph. If you want to ask why the developer, the IRC channel would be a good start.

Just my opinion of course, but I doubt you'll get a satisfactory reponse on this issue as it's so simple to fix yourself and really a matter of personal taste. The time it takes to add whatever you want is scarely more than removing the the folders would be if you didn't want them.

But, you never know - you might just convince them your idea is better. Good luck and post back what you find out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Doing a little digging it appears the Places panel was "shortened" to make room for the semantic sections in KDE 4.9+, "Recently Accessed", "Search For" and "Devices". They felt it was easy enough for a user to add to it whatever else they wanted, but the goal is to make tighter integration with and easier use of the Nepomuk backend.
              Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

Working...
              X