Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Find out why my Dolphin upload speed is low?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find out why my Dolphin upload speed is low?

So testing out 12.10 Kubuntu and trying to use Dolphin as my ftp and each file it goes through seems to do 2-4kb/s upload but if i try filezilla it's MUCH faster.

Any idea how i figure out why my dolphin upload speed is so slow?

Ah, didn't even know Dolphin had such a function, I'll stay with a proper FTP client like filezilla :cool:

Comment

Well it does have the function and for me it's 100x slower than filezilla but it's far more convenient.

So does anyone know how i can find out why it's slower?

Comment

Dolphin uses the kioslave ftp. I guess it's just slow. Have you tried KFTPgrabber? If you're using FTP alot it has more features and should be much faster than the kioslave. It's interface is more dolphin-like than filezilla too.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks bud I will have a look into that one.

Comment

I think there is a bug with the FTP kioslave. I know on my system that I often have to start a file transfer, let it run for a few seconds then cancel it and start it again to get full speed. That simple little process usually does the trick but to be honest its not a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Just a thought. I come here from Mepis and Dolphin is unusually slow. I'm not talking about using it as an FTP, just as a file manager. Just after my initial install it was really bad with freezing and crashing issues. Now it's just a bit too slow.

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
                Just a thought. I come here from Mepis and Dolphin is unusually slow. I'm not talking about using it as an FTP, just as a file manager. Just after my initial install it was really bad with freezing and crashing issues. Now it's just a bit too slow.

Michel
                Which Version of Dolphin are you using? Which version of KDE? Dolphin underwent a huge rewrite for v2 and v2.1 which sped it up massively and has made it a whole new beast especially v2.1 with KDE 4.9.x

Comment

I'm using 12.04 and Dolphin Version 2.1 Using KDE Development Platform 4.9.2.

Michel

Comment

I'm on the same versions here and no crashes or slowness. In fact, it's the quickest Dolphin so far.

I suspect something else is slowing your Dolphin. Try launching it from a terminal and see if there are any tell-tails.

Please Read Me

Comment

This is what I get:

michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ dolphin
                      "/usr/bin/dolphin(7482)" Soprano: "Could not connect to server at /tmp/ksocket-michel/nepomuk-socket (No such file or directory)"
                      "/usr/bin/dolphin(7482)" Soprano: "Could not connect to server at /tmp/ksocket-michel/nepomuk-socket (No such file or directory)"
                      dolphin(7482) KSambaSharePrivate::testparmParamValue: We got some errors while running testparm "Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
                      Loaded services file OK.
                      WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
                      These may not be accessible to some older clients.
                      (Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
                      "
                      Michel

Comment

I'm using 12.04 and Dolphin Version 2.1 Using KDE Development Platform 4.9.2.

Michel
                        Thats strange, all my FTP slowness at first was fixed when I updated a little while ago.

As was recommended, try launch it from the terminal and point out any discrepancies. Also if its still unexplainable just file a bug report.

Ok this post is redundant. I hadnt refreshed the page after typing it.

Comment

This is what I get:

michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ dolphin
                          dolphin(7482) KSambaSharePrivate::testparmParamValue: We got some errors while running testparm "Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
                          Loaded services file OK.
                          WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
                          These may not be accessible to some older clients.
                          (Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
                          "

Michel
                          Nothing there stands out to me. Nepomuk shouldn't affect FTP KIO-slave. Yeah I would recommend filing a bug, after you check out if the bug doesn't already exist. I have a suscpicion that its a packaging issue cause my 12.2 install is smooth as butter and crazy fast.

Comment

I don't get those errors (nepomuk or samba). Both could cause slowdowns. The first thing I'd check is your smb.conf. You obviously got a syntax error in there somewhere.

Here's my term. output when I start Dolphin:
                            Code:
                            stuart@office:~$ dolphindolphin(6462) KXMLGUI::ActionList::plug: Index  25  is not within range (0 -  13 
                            QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried to add some sort of Samba services to Dolphin. The service never showed up in the Dolphin menu. When I look at installed services, Samba is not there. At any rate what should I be looking for in smb.conf and what about those nepomuk entries?

Michel

Comment

Working...
                              X