Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Partition Manager - Device Manager clash.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Partition Manager - Device Manager clash.

Hi,

Whenever I run KDE Partition Manager eg.: Create New/ Delete ect. at the moment of committing the changes (Apply) I am getting message from
    Device Manager about Sound Devices not being serviced and question whether the Device Manager should manage it now or forget about the devices.

I am running kubuntu 12.04 32bit with KDE 4.12.3

This does not happen when I use GParted.

Would anyone comment on this weird clash please?

Juliusz

Gparted is a hard drive partitioning tool. It has nothing to do with sound devices.

Please Read Me

Comment

hm... did you (shunluvr) read me post mate? There it goes again:

WHENEVER I RUN KDE PARTITION MANAGER at the moment I press the 'Apply' button a message from the Device Manager pops out complaining about a SOUND Device not being serviced and DM asks me whether it should manage the sound device now or not... Yes it does not make any sense to me (but I have only 1 post here), however, I am aware that GParted (AND KDE PARTITION Manager) are HDD partitioning tools and I wrote that there is a "CLASH" that I do not understand. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN (there is no problem) when I use GParted (but this is Gnome app). Again: would anyone post any comment on "this weird clash" please?

I can reproduce this behaviour of KDE Partition Manager/Device Manager at will (eg. usb sticks, resizing HDD). This does not happen when I am using GParted.

My system is updated to date.

Thanks
      Last edited by juliusz; Apr 08, 2014, 10:41 AM. Reason: spellings

Comment

Yes, I did, and I still don't know what "clash" you're referring to. Partition managers don't "clash" with sound cards so your reference to GParted is useless. Sounds to me like you've got a sound configuration issue, but since you offer no information about your sound setup, what steps you've tried to resolve the issue, or any information at all about your hardware, it's impossible to offer any suggestions. You did, however ask for comments about "this weird clash" which I commented on. Given the information you've supplied, there isn't one.

Partition managers have no more to do with sound systems than they do with video cards: they may attempt to use them to convey information, but they don't "clash" with them.

Over-capitalizing doesn't help make your point, it just makes you look impatient and rude. So does repeating the same information over in additional posts.

Please Read Me

Comment

How The KDE Partition Manager

:~$ apt-cache show partitionmanager
          Description: A partition management utility
          Partition Manager is a utility program to help you manage the disk devices,
          partitions and file systems on your computer. It allows you to easily create,
          copy, move, delete, resize without losing data, backup and restore partitions.
          Partition Manager supports a large number of file systems, including ext2/3/4,
          reiserfs, NTFS, FAT16/32, jfs, xfs and more. Note that to gain support for a
          specific file system other than ext2/3/4, you should install the corresponding
          suggested package.
          Partition Manager is based on libparted (like gparted) and makes use of the
          KDE libraries for its user interface.
          is working at here:

When clicking the 'Apply' button the 'KDE-Sys-Warning.ogg' is played and the 'warning' window is shown.

You could:

- try to disable the warning chime from the KDE System Settings > Application and System Notifications > Manage Notifications > KDE Workspace; Warning Message.

Note ! The warning is from the roots settings - 'kdesudo systemsettings'.

- start the partitionmanager from the konsole - 'kdesudo partitionmanager'- maybe the konsole will show more information ?
          Last edited by Rog132; Apr 08, 2014, 11:46 AM.
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

What I am thinking here, going on memory, is that in 12.04 the partition manager would trigger somehow for KDE to detect new or changed hardware (ie new partitions on a flash drive, or modifying partitions on the same drive as the OS), and in doing so, the sound subsystem (the device manager in the System Settings' multimedia section) notices the errors in the somewhat crappy pulseaudio and/or phonon in 12.04. I do remember this happening to me, but it was not constant.

Alas, without further data, a little more detail in your info, images, etc, it is hard to tell if it is the same issue. If you fix the problem, or at least choose an option given in the popup, the nagging might stop happening. Have you tried responding to the popup in any way?

I also wonder if running Partition Manager from outside System Settings will stop this nag. If this popup is what I think it is - virtual sound "devices" that for whatever reason do not exist anymore - perhaps completing the partitioning tasks triggers something of a refresh in System Settings. The partition manager no longer resides there, which might be why we don't see it anymore? Still, it warrants responding to the popup in any case.

Comment

There it goes: I want to change/resize/delete a partition on whatever data device I want to. I start KDE Partition Manager. Select a device I want to modify (lately USB stick). When I attempt to delete a partition and press the 'Apply' menu button I get a message from (Kmix? or whatever it is - the window has Title "Device Manager") and it request from me if the Sound device should be serviced now (yes/no) or forgotten. That is all I can tell. Just forget about the Gparted as it was never mentioned. GParted never existed before.

Start KDE Partition Manager - / change/resize/delete - press 'Apply option - a message pops up (from Device Manager) about the servicing of Sound Device(s) - at times there is a list of several 6-7 devices (I never knew that I had so many of them on one motherboard!). Every single time. I do not have any idea why it happens, hence I asked here. If you 'oshunluvr' do not have any idea why it does happen just say so - simple answer or do not comment at all.

A clash for me is this: one application (KDE Partition Manager) when used, causes another application (Device Manager) to produce a query message. These two apps have nothing in common but they do interact in THIS particular instance. It happens every time. It happens every time I use KDE Partition Manager. Every time I ignore this message and all works ok. If for people who are experts in KDE/Kubuntu/Ubuntu 12.04 it seems normal then that is what I need to know and I will never ask silly question like that again.

The only "sound configuration issues" I have is when I use KDE Partition Manager. AND that is the issue I just described in my posts. I am using this system for over three years and that is the only problem related to 'Sound' there (the use of KDE Partition Manager) is so I would suggest that it is the KDE issue rather then sound system issue. The sound system did not and does not give me any problems whatsoever - until I use KDE Partition Manager. If you 'oshunluvr' insists that it is the sound system setup issue then I wander about the content of your over 5.500 post. People come here to solve problems. They are not experts so experts (having experience with all sorts of questions) ought to avoid any sign of arrogance and - being experts - have patience. But maybe I am deluding myself so I am sorry for asking this senseless question. Next time I will get something easy like: how to change wallpaper in KDE.
              Juliusz

Comment

Claydoh, what you wrote makes sense. While posting here I did try in once more and answered 'yes' to forget the devices (several and of them, and I now 'feel' they could be bloody virtual or ghost). Anyway after clicking 'forget' and trying it again did not happen - the message did not pop up. I will test it more but it seems that KDE senses something that does not exists? OK. Now I need more time for more testing. I will post results. Thank you.

I will try the "outside' od System setting and see what goes on. Your post gives me some kind of plan as to how to deal with it.

Regards
                Ciao

Comment

!Aha! Rogh123 - this is superb observation! I will do that. Very clever because it does happen exactly when I press that blasted "Apply". I am going to test it now: :-)

Comment

Looking the Kubuntu 12.04 (1) - at here the 'Removed Sound Devices' is popping up when clicking the 'Apply' button.

At here this can be disabled with the 'Do not ask again' option.

(1) The 13.10 don't have this feature at here.

The 13.10 was showing the 'playback device does not work' warning when clicking the 'Apply' button.

This was because as user the phonon back end was the VLC but the root back end was the GStreamer. If the back ends are the same then, at here, no warnings.
                    Last edited by Rog132; Apr 08, 2014, 01:43 PM.
                    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Rog123 - you are a magician! This is exactly what was happening - just a different device name. So it seems an apology is needed for osunluvr:

osunluvr - yes it was the sound system problem and I do apologise for my gruffness.

The only - not that important - answer could be why KDE Partitojn Manager? More like curiosity perhaps. I did run KDE P M from the console and got this:

========================= console message start
                      Wed Apr 09:11:40:32
                      ~
                      xxxxx@yyyyy $:_kdesudo partitionmanager
                      partitionmanager(3008)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "toggleDockDevices" with KXMLGUIFactory!
                      partitionmanager(3008)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "toggleDockOperations" with KXMLGUIFactory!
                      partitionmanager(3008)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "toggleDockInformation" with KXMLGUIFactory!
                      partitionmanager(3008)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "toggleDockLog" with KXMLGUIFactory!
                      QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                      QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus

Wed Apr 09:11:42:45
                      ~
                      xxxxx@yyyyy $:_
                      ============================= console message end
                      this seems to be, I think, a different issue.

Thank you all for you help.
                      Juliusz

ps I am not sure if we have here SOLVED marker...

Comment

Working...
                      X