Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after installing system updates, my computer won't restart!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after installing system updates, my computer won't restart!!

i ran the system updates this morning, and now my computer won't restart at all... 8(

it runs the POST, and then sits on the "loading" screen forever. i've managed to get some text output on the screen, by hitting an F-key (it apparently doesn't matter which one, because it bounces between the graphic loading screen and the text output), which has a whole bunch of "Starting automatic crash report generation" and "Stopping anac(h)ronistic cron" lines... most of them are marked [OK], but it has a [fail] line, which lines up with the "Starting regular background program processing daemon" or the "Starting K Display Manager" (i'm not sure which). the last two lines are "Starting Mount network filesystems" and "Stopping Mount network file systems", but after that, there are no other indications that anything is working at all... 8(

i've never seen anything like this before, and i'm totally stumped for what to do next...

HELP!!
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Would you please give us more info about your computer configuration?
    Dell E1705 Intel Core 2 Duo with Kubuntu 17.10.
    Nvidia Go7950GTX Graphics
    4gig Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

it's... er... a computer...

it's home-built, with an AMD processor, on-board sound and video, (i believe) 4G of RAM, two 200MB internal hard disks, and a few external USB hard disks of varying sizes. it's running the most up-to-date version of precise (12.04)... it's got internet access (ethernet), and is a part of an intranet... CD/DVD drive, but no floppy...

but it is currently offline, because i can't get it to restart. 8/

what do you need to know?
      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Specifically, your video chip maker, the video chip model number, etc. More than likely a new xorg upgrade of video drivers added new models to its support list and dropped older models, including yours.
        From the grub menu you can go to the options screen and select other options to boot into. One would be as root with network connection. Then you can use apt-get to roll back your video drivers to the previous version.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I was just about to run the update myself, when I noticed that two packages would be removed as part of the update process: kdm and kubuntu-desktop. My guess is that you can't boot because kdm has been removed. So, this is a stab in the dark, but you could try reinstalling kdm from the command line (login through a virtual terminal if you need to: CTRL-ALT-F2 will get you to a login prompt). Use this command:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kdm
          Be careful about proceeding if it says any packages will need to be removed... your system could be messed up further. If you are able to install KDM without needing to remove any more packages, then hopefully that is all you need to be back in business, and you can restart using:
          Code:
          sudo reboot
          Hopefully somebody who knows more about this situation will be able to shed some light on why this is happening, and the best way to work around it. In the meantime, I will hold off updating my system.

Comment

kubuntu-desktop is a meta package for default kubuntu. As soon as you remove anything from the default package list, kubuntu-desktop is removed automatically. Probably, the update does this. It's not needed anyway.

kdm is not the default display manager, lightdm is. If you have kdm, you've installed it. Both lightdm and kdm need not be installed, just the one you're using. It possible an update to lightdm forces the removal of kdm. If you're using kdm and don't want this to happen, uninstall lightdm before running update.

Please Read Me

Comment

I thought kdm was the default in Kubuntu 12.04, but not newer releases. So most people using 12.04 would be running KDM by default, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I decided to try the update myself, and when trying to reinstall kdm, I get the following:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                kdm : Depends: sysv-rc (>= 2.88dsf-24) but 2.88dsf-13.10ubuntu11.1 is to be installed or
                file-rc (>= 0.8.16) but it is not installable

I'm going to reboot and see if LightDM works.

Comment

My system boot up fine using LightDM (which was already installed). Perhaps the OP doesn't have LightDM installed, in which case running:
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install lightdm lightdm-kde-greeter
                  ...should do the trick, I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Specifically, your video chip maker, the video chip model number, etc.
                    that would be great, if i knew which video chip i had, and without breaking it open i don't have the first clue...

More than likely a new xorg upgrade of video drivers added new models to its support list and dropped older models, including yours.
                    it was one of the reasons that i converted to linux that they weren't as likely to quit supporting obsolete hardware. that was also the reason that, when this system was built (about 4 to 5 years ago) i used new, close-to-top-of-the-line components... is the fact that it is 4 to 5 years old the reason why this computer (or its video manufacturer) the reason why my computer suddenly won't boot? i hope not... 8/

From the grub menu you can go to the options screen and select other options to boot into.
                    pardon my "newbie" question, but how to i get to the grub menu? as far as i can tell, it goes straight from the POST into this list of "Starting" and "Stopping" various different things, and i can see no place to access a menu at all.

One would be as root with network connection. Then you can use apt-get to roll back your video drivers to the previous version.
                    that sounds like it will work, if the problem is my video drivers... why do you think it's my video drivers?
                    Last edited by przxqgl; Feb 20, 2014, 07:57 PM.
                    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Well..er..a..

Because there are so many different models and video cards it helps narrow down the problem. Since it's home built it could have been anything. Since you said you bought close to top of the line you should know what video your computer is using.

that sounds like it will work, if the problem is my video drivers... why do you think it's my video drivers?
                      With newer driver versions your could have been dropped from the current one or did not get installed or updated properly. Common screen boot problems are video related.
                      Dell E1705 Intel Core 2 Duo with Kubuntu 17.10.
                      Nvidia Go7950GTX Graphics
                      4gig Ram
                      Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
                        Because there are so many different models and video cards it helps narrow down the problem. Since it's home built it could have been anything. Since you said you bought close to top of the line you should know what video your computer is using.
                        i understand that there are a lot of different video cards, but i don't remember what i got. i remember that i wanted "on board" video and sound, i.e. not on separate cards, but i don't remember what the specifications for the video and audio were: it was 5 years ago, and i have a brain injury that affects my ability to remember technical things like that for very long.

are you suggesting that i need to break it open to find out, or is there a less intrusive way to do it?

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
                        With newer driver versions your could have been dropped from the current one or did not get installed or updated properly. Common screen boot problems are video related.
                        okay, so i will accept that there is a better than average chance that it is because of my video/drivers. what do i do to fix them? i understand that, by accessing
                        the grub menu
                        i can begin the process of removing the updates, but i don't know how to access the grub menu... for that matter, i don't even know for sure that i have grub installed at all. grub is for multi-boot systems, right? and this has always been kubuntu only...
                        ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Yes, you are using Grub. From the sounds of it though, you have it 'hidden' so don't see the Grub Menu when you boot your PC. What you need to do, after booting, is to press repeatedly, the Esc key until the Grub Menu appears. When it does, press 'E' to edit the parameters. Move down to the line that contains the kernel parameters (ro quiet splash etc.) and after ro type single and a space. Press F10 to continue booting. You will boot into a console session. At that point, type startx and see if you get to your desktop.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by przxqgl View Post
                            that would be great, if i knew which video chip i had, and without breaking it open i don't have the first clue...
                            Hi there. Something definitely went wrong somewhere, and while you are likely in very good hands with people here in this forum to solve your issues, I can help you with what's in your box (even if it's only good for future reference...). Although I would agree with the poster above who is alluding to the possible fact that either KDM or LightDM is missing and needs re-installed. As a clue, I would go to the terminal (Konsole) and type:
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
                            and post the output here if it complains about broken packages or conflicts, etc.

Anyway - As for your system specs:

Method One: KInfoCenter

Just run KInfoCenter as it is installed by default (Start Menu > Applications > System > KInfoCenter). It will give you a nice screen of the basics of what you have.

Method Two: LSHW command

Go to terminal again (Konsole) and type the following:
                            Code:
                            sudo lshw -html > hardware.html
                            after it runs, you can use Dolphin to see a file named "hardware.html" in your Home directory. It will open in your web browser and VOILA! A nice, detailed hardware report for your viewing pleasure.

Hope this helps.
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

The kdm dependency issue was resolved with the package updates today, so kdm should install now. Try the following commands at the virtual terminal:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get update
                              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                              sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
                              sudo reboot
                              ...and you should hopefully be back to a login prompt after your computer restarts.

Comment

Working...
                              X