This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 and kiosk mode

Hello, i havebeen trying to lock some functionalities of my kde machine using the kiosk mode keys(http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_A...ion/Kiosk/Keys) but so far it doesn't work, i added the entries to kdeglobals in ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals and on /etc/kde4/kdeglobals but nothing, just doesn't work, someone can please help me. Thanks in advance.

You're going to have to be more specific on what exactly you're trying to do, but generally you can lock most or all plasma widget and functions using the immutable switch.

[$i]

See: http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_A...k/Introduction about a third of the way down the page.

Please Read Me

Comment

the problem is the configuration file i think, for example i added this to my kdeglobals:

[KDE Action Restrictions][$i]
      action/lock_screen=false
      movable_toolbars=false
      run_command=false
      plasma-desktop/add_activities=false
      action/konsole_rmb=false

and nothing happens, for example i still have the contextual menu on konsole, and yes i've tried putting true instead of false.

Comment

I think in that case, the immutable switch would prevent changes to those functions, but the initial settings themselves would have to be set like you did. I can't say why the file isn't being parsed.

This may be a silly question: You are logging out and back in for testing, right?

From what I see, the Kiosk mode idea has been abandoned. Most the the web pages I can find are 2005-2007.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          I think in that case, the immutable switch would prevent changes to those functions, but the initial settings themselves would have to be set like you did. I can't say why the file isn't being parsed.

This may be a silly question: You are logging out and back in for testing, right?

From what I see, the Kiosk mode idea has been abandoned. Most the the web pages I can find are 2005-2007.
          Yes most of the articles are from 2007, i think the main reason is kiosktool a GUI to set the kiosk values, so anyone could really easily use the kiosk features.

Comment

I tried your entries and got mixed results. I was still able to rmb in konsole, but ALT-F2 (krunner) didn't work which would indicate that run_command=false worked.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I tried your entries and got mixed results. I was still able to rmb in konsole, but ALT-F2 (krunner) didn't work which would indicate that run_command=false worked.
              NO!!!!, wait what?, for you is working??, is not fair, please can you tell me exactly what did you do, starting from I turn on my PC. Also can you paste your kdeglobals

Comment

I just cut and pasted your entries into my kdeglobals file and logged out and back in. It's a fairly new install so nothing odd should be in it, but here it is anyway.
                Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

and you put it inside in /home/user/.kde/share/config?

Comment

Yeah, left it where it was.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X